VU+ Solo SE V2 Dual Tuner Problem

A

Archive7

My VU+ Solo Se V2 with dual tuner seems to have problems .
I noticed that on Hotbird 13E a lot of the Cyfrowy Polsat channels have a very low signal level.
For example 11,284H and 12,265V with lots of HD channels.
With another receiver (the Sony TV built-in satellite tuner) everything is working perfect.
Also with another VU+ Solo Se V2 with single tuner, it is working perfect.
I am just wondering if the dual tuner is less sensitive than a single tuner one, or could it be the receiver itself has a problem and the tuner is not the culprit.
I don't want to replace the tuner (buying either dual or single at this stage) and perhaps I can send the receiver back and ask for a new one (too much hassle with shipment and customs clearance afterwards, even if it is a replacement).
Any ideas what else I can do to diagnose the problem?
Would opening the box and checking the tuner module invalidates the warranty (I think I have a 2 years warranty).
Thanks for any suggestions.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Which image do you have loaded?
Have you tried each cable, on each tuner, seperately, changing the Tuner details to Simple, Single, Hotbird 13E?

A

Archive7

Which image do you have loaded?
Have you tried each cable, on each tuner, seperately, changing the Tuner details to Simple, Single, Hotbird 13E?
I have VTi Image. Tried several images and this is the best for me.
Yes I have tried what you have suggested and there is no difference.
The single tuner receiver works perfectly.
Highly suspect the dual tuner module, but can't prove it unless I buy a new one and test it.
There was a warning sheet about the dual tuner module that came with the box. I must use a blue PCB type and NOT Green PCB module, otherwise I can cause damage to the main board.
Apparently the blue PCB has a capacitor installed on the back of the PCB, otherwise it will fit in the plugin socket connector.
Even if I order a new tuner module, I can't be sure if the PCB is blue.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
It's relatively rare, but possible, that your receiver's tuner is getting overloaded *if* there is too much signal coming in. You can try lowering the signal (move the dish slightly or put a wet towel over it) - if this works, then you'll need an attenuator.

I had this issue with 19E, IBU LNB and Vu+ Uno on a very short cable run (5m)

A

Archive7

It's relatively rare, but possible, that your receiver's tuner is getting overloaded *if* there is too much signal coming in. You can try lowering the signal (move the dish slightly or put a wet towel over it) - if this works, then you'll need an attenuator.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have access to the dish.
You are probably right. I am getting a high signal on other TPs around 80%
I don't have an attenuator, but I might have a satellite splitter that I can use to test, if only I can find it.

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
Well i running the same box and vti image and just checked both transponders both on mutli setup and 13.e direct
and both fine and high, but on switch and changer.
so just wondered if you try the satfinder in service searching, use predefined transponder and go thought them, you could see if there are any others without selecting a channel.

if it was overloading would use not see that on other transponders too??

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
My VU+ Duo 2 goes upto 99%, and I have no problems, with either tuner, apart from the V-Box II, which does cause problems with the higher frequencies, and that's using a 1.2M dish.
I'm running Blachhole.
When I have time, and we have nice weather, I am going to try another twin LNB, to see if the problem is compatibility, between the current LNB, and the V-Box !!, or if the problem is strictly with the V-Box II, as both tuners work perfectly when the V-Box II is out of the loop.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I have VTi Image. Tried several images and this is the best for me.
Yes I have tried what you have suggested and there is no difference.
The single tuner receiver works perfectly.
Highly suspect the dual tuner module, but can't prove it unless I buy a new one and test it.
There was a warning sheet about the dual tuner module that came with the box. I must use a blue PCB type and NOT Green PCB module, otherwise I can cause damage to the main board.
Apparently the blue PCB has a capacitor installed on the back of the PCB, otherwise it will fit in the plugin socket connector.
Even if I order a new tuner module, I can't be sure if the PCB is blue.
Can't you contact your supplier, explain the problem, and have them send a new tuner, with permission to fit it?
It's a lot cheaper, and easier, than them having to replace the receiver.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France

That's interesting - I thought the Automatic Gain Control (AGC) normally dealt with that.

A

Archive7

Can't you contact your supplier, explain the problem, and have them send a new tuner, with permission to fit it?
It's a lot cheaper, and easier, than them having to replace the receiver.
My supplier is Amazon. They will want the whole box to be sent for servicing or replacement if faulty, but will not send only a tuner.
As I am still not sure what the problem is, I dare not take any action as this stage.
I can live with this problem for the time being, as there are plenty of channels to watch.
Just did a complete clean image install and Hotbird scanning, the channels in question are in the list, but have zero signal. Weird!!

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
just out of interest when you scan or maybe blindscan hotbird how many channels do you get??

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
How have you got your tuners configured?
Have you left them on automatic selection or made one the preferred tuner?

A

Archive7

How have you got your tuners configured?
Have you left them on automatic selection or made one the preferred tuner?
I think it defaults to Tuner A
Hotbird is on Tuner B
How can I see the relevant menu to test?

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
just did mine 2003 services

if i scan 12,265V 27500 3/4 i get 19 is that the same for you?

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
and you still get low or no signal ? if you go setup service searching satfinder do you still get low signal?