Wall mounting a truck-sized dish

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
So folks, its come to that 'crunch' time (and about time):rolleyes:

I wanted to have a 1.8m or 2.4m antenae on the roof. What put me off in the end was the cost and the work involved with a non-penetrating roof stand, oh, and the poor delivery terms.

I had considered one of the chimneys, but, ruled it out, because, although it was the size of a brick shit-house - it was only bout 80cm high and would leave a large dish exposed (sic) and I didn't want to end up in a 'Claims-for-Jerks' court.

Hark! I had a thought the other day. Our building is approximately one storey higher than that of the neighbouring building and would allow for an easily accessible wall-mounted antenae (just imagine jumping down from one flat roof t'tuther). Yum.

Question: is it safe to wall-mount an antenae between 1.8m and 2.4 on a wall?

Can't say that I have ever seen it done before.

Any help appreciated.

Have fun,

Mark.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont even think about wall mounting such a big dish - 1.2m about as big as you can safely go - get a good storm and the forces acting on the dish could easily pull sections of wall down. Which could get a mite expensive!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
cc_2.JPG

What you need my friend is this 3.8mtr monster
Trailer mounted and on sale in E*ay for £500 at the moment.

:D :D :D

L.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Euww. Doesn't sound encouraging:(

If I said that the area is relatively 'sheltered' would I be clutching at straws?

My notorious lay-logic tells me that the idea of having a non-penetrating roof stand, aka everything exposed, sounds more menacing than a neet and tidy (albeit substantial) wall mount affair. Okay! i'm clutching at straws.

Naturally, I don't want to create an unwanted balcony for the folks on the fifth-floor:) but, I am minded to do something stupid at this rate.

I did have a hair-brain idea at one point of somehow having some-kind-of-affair lowered down one of the, now defunct, chimneys as a method of support for a pole and dish.

......... I don't have my files at hand, but can you recall off-hand how much I would expect to pay for a NPRS?

Many thanks,

Mark.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Lancelot said:
cc_2.JPG

L.

Well ... its motorised:rolleyes: But I don't know how I'd get it all on the roof.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Lancelot said:
cc_2.JPG

L.

can you tell us the eeeeeehbay number? I wanna have a look! :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
mljgmljg said:
Euww. Doesn't sound encouraging:(

If I said that the area is relatively 'sheltered' would I be clutching at straws?

My notorious lay-logic tells me that the idea of having a non-penetrating roof stand, aka everything exposed, sounds more menacing than a neet and tidy (albeit substantial) wall mount affair. Okay! i'm clutching at straws.

Naturally, I don't want to create an unwanted balcony for the folks on the fifth-floor:) but, I am minded to do something stupid at this rate.

I did have a hair-brain idea at one point of somehow having some-kind-of-affair lowered down one of the, now defunct, chimneys as a method of support for a pole and dish.

......... I don't have my files at hand, but can you recall off-hand how much I would expect to pay for a NPRS?

Many thanks,

Mark.

A chimney is even worse - they are not designed for massive twisting forces that dishes can put on them. There have been cases of stacks collapsing with 60 & 80 cm dishes on them due to brickwork / mortar failure in storms. So unless you want a couple of tons of masonary & dish wreckage landing on the bed one stormy night, forget that idea.

Slightly OT - If you want to see some prime bodged installs of aerials & dishes take a peek at:

h**p://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgalleryview.html

H

Happy-Buddah

@ analoguesat

Re: "

Want it!! Want it!!! Want it!!! :D :D"

You'll never find a tyre large enough to mount it on!:cool:
H-B

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh I dunno - Im sure I could use the "tyre levers" off my bike to nick a big tyre off the tractor on the farm up the road:D ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
T_G said:
can you tell us the eeeeeehbay number? I wanna have a look! :)

Item number: 3879833305

Its got a manky trailer, no feed, arms , or indeed a motor mount
Caveat Emptor

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
yeah, I looked but this is a dish size I lust after if it can be moved. I got a lot of space on my hill at the back.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
T_G said:
yeah, I looked but this is a dish size I lust after if it can be moved. I got a lot of space on my hill at the back.

Sod off - its mine ! :D ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel Hopper said:
Item number: 3879833305

Its got a manky trailer, no feed, arms , or indeed a motor mount
Caveat Emptor

How the hell are you supposed to motorise a trailer?? :confused :p Id like to see the USALS fitting for this ;)