Wall-Sized TV Screens for Every Home!

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Last year, Sony presented the super thin OLED TV, which was essentially your typical LCD TV that uses LEDs, but much thinner than its counterparts. Now, scientists from Manchester University have announced that by the end of next year, they will be able to launch an even thinner TV screen, so thin that you can literally roll it up and put it in your pocket.

Developed because of the shortage of elements needed to make LEDs, scientists have found quantum dots, new light-emitting crystals that are cheaper to produce than LEDs. Made from semi-conducting materials that emit light when energised by electricity or ultraviolet light, quantum dots are around 100,000 times smaller than the width of human hair, the dots can be put onto flexible plastic sheets and/or wallpaper to create wall-sized screens.

Quantum dots can be put on top of regular LEDs to produce more natural colored light. However, the size of the crystals gives scientists the chance or option to manipulate color by changing the wavelength of the emission. Meaning the can produce any color imaginable.

“By altering the size of the crystals, we are able to change the color they produce,” said Professor Paul O'Brien of the University of Manchester. “It is rather like when you twang a ruler on a desk and the noise changes, the same is happening with the light produced by the quantum dots. As the colors are very bright and need little energy it has generated huge excitement in the electronics industry—the quality of display they can produce will be far superior to LCD televisions.”

The company working on this technology is Nanoco, a spin out company set up by the scientists from the university. According to their chief executive, Michael Edelman, the company is working with some major Asian electronics companies. Though he didn't reveal which ones, they are rumored to be LG, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony.

“The first products we are expecting to come to market using quantum dots will be the next generation of flat-screen televisions,” said Edelman. “The real advantage provided by quantum dots, however, is that they can be printed on to a plastic sheet that can be rolled up. It is likely these will be small personal devices to begin with. Something else we are looking at is reels of wallpaper or curtains made our of a material that has quantum dots printed on it. You can imagine displaying scenes of the sun rising over a beach as you wake up in the morning.”

Apart from quantum dots, Nanoco is also working on solar powered displays for quantum dots as well as new energy efficient light bulbs.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Ties in nicely with the Black Mirror play number 2 ...
Soon we will all be able to live in closed cubicles with 24/7 hypnotic mind numbing force fed TV ...
Wall to wall ..adverts and celebrity culture ...
Can't wait ....

On a serious note though ....it should use less energy so we won't have to pedal as hard ..(ref blackmirror 2)

I love technology ...but maybe this is one step too far.
VS

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There was an exhibition a couple of years ago, where LG were showing 2" organic screens, and the sales staff confirmed they had successfully 'bred' up to 20" versions in the laboratory.

Artvaard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 90cm
Comag FTA 2CI
My Location
Lancashire
Love the idea, per se, but the implications are just as frightening as 'Vipersan' intimates - perhaps just one step too far.....

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If the technology becomes cheap enough of course the screens could be used for something as innocent as wallpaper, which could be changed on a whim.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
If the technology becomes cheap enough of course the screens could be used for something as innocent as wallpaper, which could be changed on a whim.

Nothing new there CH!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Not in a castle (I hasten to add).

Though there would be some attraction to a room that resembles the inside of an aquarium, or looking like the real ocean - ala the den of Karl Stromberg

[video=youtube;u7deClndzQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7deClndzQw&feature=player_embedded[/video]