Want to move dish from 30W to 1W : Please help me!

good2talk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing at the moment until I find a receiver.
My Location
yookay
Hi Mates:

I have a dish (I think 80cm) facing at 30W and doing nothing at the moment. It was fitted by a professional cost me arm and leg. That is history now.

I wonder if I can move it myself without spending again. It should face 1W. I don’t have a meter but I assume if the receiver is kept in well-known transponders frequency let my son watch and I should move the dish bit by bit until my son see the signal in the receiver. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also please let me know when I face the dish should I move the dish to my right hand side or left.

I will appreciate any help extended in this regard. Not to worry if I lost 30W for ever because it is useless anyway.

Cheers!
;)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,
To move the dish from 30W to 1W you need to move it to the left from behind, and up by about 5 to 6 degrees also depending on your location.

Accurate figures can be obtined from dishpointer.com or similar.

Without using a separate meter the easiest way to do it is to select a strong transponder like 11325H which carries BBC World on 1W, and maximize the signal quality on that.

It is very difficult to have someone else looking at the screen for you. I would be far easier to get it aligned properly if you use a portable TV in the garden connected to to the RF output of the receiver.

Robbo :)

good2talk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yookay
Thank you, Robbo71.

Haven't got a portable.

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
If you are not scared of heights, go for it!.

As Robbo says, use bbc world as your reference, its free to air and quite strong on signal. In simple terms when dealing with a fixed dish, there are 2 movements you need to adjust:-

1) move the dish left or right (pretty obvious)
2) up and down (elevation)

you can indeed use a portable tv to tune in, or the built in signal strenght meter on your receiver and tv (this is where your son could help), or even use one of those 5 pound audible signal meters on epay.

once you are tuned in to maximum signal level and quality level, lock up the nuts on the dish.

good2talk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yookay
dasteelman said:
use one of those 5 pound audible signal meters on epay.

once you are tuned in to maximum signal level and quality level, lock up the nuts on the dish.

Please help with:
How to identify that is 1W. Will it show the name or I should see the signal from my receiver?

I haven't bought it yet. I will look for it now.

Thanks!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The receiver won't identify the satellite no.

But, if you pick 11325H as a transponder, get a good signal quality on it, then do a scan, you will get BBC World as one of the channels, if you don't you are on the wrong satellite.

If you are on the wrong satellite, make a note of the channels you do get, then look them up on lyngsat or kingofsat (channel search facility) and find out which satellite it was, then re-adjust accordingly.

Robbo:)

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
where abouts are you if you are near nottingham stick kettle on and come around and realine your dish no problems

dasteelman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
aba said:
where abouts are you if you are near nottingham stick kettle on and come around and realine your dish no problems

heheheh let him do it himself, its half the fun learning :)

only joking :) :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
dasteelman said:
heheheh let him do it himself, its half the fun learning :)

only joking :) :)

No, seriously you are right. Once you have done it a few times it's a doddle.