Help Required Watching SKY HD using my WinTV Nova-HD-S2 card

Giddeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Sky HD and a barely used Eutelsat dish with a Little Wizard for something else I can't remember :)
My Location
UK South Yorkshire
Hi,

I have my WintTV Nova S2 card up and running and with a phoenix card reader I have managed to get DVB Viewer Pro to read my sky card (with my own legitimate subscription) and I can watch my sky telly on my computer. However, when I try to watch an HD channel the monitor for NDSCam shows CA err on both odd and even DCW at the bottom of the monitor's window.
I read and tried to follow the example HTPC setup pinned to the top of this forum and it's working up until the point of getting HD channels to work. Stuff like SKY1 is working fine and all the other channels that I subscribe to are working but anything I subscribe to in HD doesn't work. Even ones like CH5 HD and E4HD aren't working.
The free ones like BBCHD and BBC News HD work fine so I know it's an issue with the decryption of HD channels. I have put the card back into my HD Box and tried channels like Sky1 HD and it works fine but on the PC it doesn't.

So I'm using DVBPro v5.3.2, I installed the latest transponder list from the sticky here, I have NDSCam v0.0.0.7 and I have SoftCSA v3.00. If someone knows what specific settings I'm to use for NDSCam and SoftCSA that would be great, if you want to know what settings I'm using right now (if such a thing would allow sd channels to be decoded but not hd ones) I can easily post them for you.

Can you folks please help me to get My HD channels working? If you need any more information that I haven't put here please ask and I'll post it.

Thanks.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You can only view Sky HD channels using your official receiver, and your subscription card.

Giddeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Sky HD and a barely used Eutelsat dish with a Little Wizard for something else I can't remember :)
My Location
UK South Yorkshire
Do you know why? How have they changed it so you can only view SD but not HD?

Has anyone managed to get round that?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
It's an updated form of encryption, currently only applied to the HD channels.
You are only supposed to view Sky channels, using their receiver, and card, so you have no legal rights, to view their channels, using other equipment.
There is a possibility that eventually most Standard Definition channels will cease broadcasting, as everyone will have a HD television, or even the new 4K, or even more advanced, televisions, and the SD channels just wont be good enough, for viewers.
This will take some time though, so it shouldn't happen for quite a number of years.

Giddeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South Yorkshire
Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate you letting me know about the encryption situation, it's a bit of a bugger but if I can't do anything about it then I guess I'm stuck. It must have been a change made to the HD channels in recent time because the guy who made the post about his example HTPC on the sticky said he was getting HD stuff. Oh well.

Thanks again, I'll keep popping back to see if some genius figures it out in several months or something lol.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The old Thompson HD boxes are still running the old software that doesn't have the new updated encryption and for a while Sky allowed users with those boxes to keep their HD channels so some people where buying old Thompson HD boxes on eBay and pairing their cards to it so they could still use them in unofficial boxes but I believe that loophole has finally been shut now as Sky will send out a newer (reconditioned) box with the encryption update to replace any out of date boxes. You can thank the commercial card sharers for all this tightened security that inconveniences the legitimate subscribers like yourself.

Giddeon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South Yorkshire
Blast!

Oh well, at least I get a kick from knowing the story, thankyou. I do this kind of thing in quite a few fields, you know modding and building your own stuff etc. Been doing it since changing the crystal in my Amiga 600 for a slightly quicker one to overclock it ;) All that's left now is to change out the Hard Drive in the HD box in the livingroom cause it fills up too quick hehe.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I still have an Amiga 1200 with upgraded processor and a flash card as a hard disk on my desk next to me...

blackers

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25, stab hh120,, vu+solo, tm5402hd, amiko micro hd, sky + hd full sub inc setanta..
My Location
Essex Uk
Blast!

Oh well, at least I get a kick from knowing the story, thankyou. I do this kind of thing in quite a few fields, you know modding and building your own stuff etc. Been doing it since changing the crystal in my Amiga 600 for a slightly quicker one to overclock it ;) All that's left now is to change out the Hard Drive in the HD box in the livingroom cause it fills up too quick hehe.
Sorry off topic slightly, Ive still got an amiga 1200 in my parents loft - didnt realise people were mucking around with them???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Sorry off topic slightly, Ive still got an amiga 1200 in my parents loft - didnt realise people were mucking around with them???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Loads of kit available on eBay for upgrading your Amiga. Mine boots into workbench in about 3 seconds from the flash card and I've got 4GB of space on it which is about 8 times the size of my old Amiga hard disk! It's a bit like having a SSD.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just noticed the miggy talk, yep, people still playing with them, I have a pair of A600s, both recently re-capped (which you may want to do with your A1200 if it's been disused for a number of years), but one has been damaged beyond my level of expertise by leaking caps, but the other one, perfect condition, working great and also has a pretend-SSD with the use of CF cards.... :D

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Just noticed the miggy talk, yep, people still playing with them, I have a pair of A600s, both recently re-capped (which you may want to do with your A1200 if it's been disused for a number of years), but one has been damaged beyond my level of expertise by leaking caps, but the other one, perfect condition, working great and also has a pretend-SSD with the use of CF cards.... :D
Which caps are they? I haven't looked inside my A1200 since I installed the CF card a while back. I'm using my old A500 power supply as it was beefier and back then people used to say it was more reliable too than the smaller A1200 version.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Which caps are they?

The ones on the motherboard... :-rofl2

Can't say for sure as the A600 and A1200 have different boards, but mine got all new caps across the board (literally!), a mix of generic tantalums and Panasonic electrolytics... :)

The issue is that Commodore in their cheapdom used some low-budget caps in the Amiga "wedge" machines, and years of storage has caused most of them to leak when powered up for the first time in a long while, and if not addressed quickly, then say byebye to the tracks on the board as the dodgy electrolyte eats them... :-doh

As for power supplies, the A500 may be electrically more robust, but, the plastics are rubbish (A500 on the left, A600 on the right):

yuck.jpg