Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My son paid an impromptu visit home from the smoke and we all went for a bit of a hike. Went to Rivington Pike which has quite some history about it which can be read here It is basically a deserted moor which was bought over 100 years ago by Lord and Lady Leverhulme who were in fact Lord and Lady Lever. The hulme bit of their name is actually his wife's maiden name. But yes it is the soap manufacturer who created Port Sunlight and Rivington Pike was where they had a bungalow and decided to create a fanciful place of recreation for their workers. In the middle of nowhere there is the Pike at the top of the hill, a bridge, the 'folly' which is a stone built 3 story summer house and various other ponds and gardens to allow the factory workers to cleanse their lungs and souls no doubt. Sorry the pics are not much cop but I forgot my camera and had to resort to my phone cam.

One of the photos shows Winter Hill in the distance

Attachments

• viewfrompike.JPG
    viewfrompike.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 23
  • thebridge.JPG
    thebridge.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 27
  • thefolly.JPG
    thefolly.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 22
  • the folly dropside.JPG
    the folly dropside.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 17
  • closerapproach.JPG
    closerapproach.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 19
  • rDSC00002.JPG
    rDSC00002.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 18
  • thebridgetopview (1224 x 918).jpg
    thebridgetopview (1224 x 918).jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 23

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Great countryside there Topper, shame the weather was dull, one of the members on TVB has posted a photo of the very same tower, but when the leaves were still on the trees. :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Great pics there, Topper. When's the calendar out? ;)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Lovely pics mate ..... made me feel quite relaxed after a hard week. :) There's so much more to life when you think about it but we just don't seem to have the time to enjoy it all.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The whole place was quite odd really even down to the thin bricks that the bridge was built of, they must have had an enormous amount of money to built firstly a metalled road, made of cobblestones all the way to the place then to have all this stone hand carved and transported up into the moors to build the towers and all the outbuildings some of which I did not have time to investigate. That sort of wealth, all from a bit of soap

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Nice pics Topper. William Lever was a very interesting man and a real patrician benefactor. Living where I do I am, of course, quite close to Port Sunlight which he built for his employees so that they would all have good quality homes to go home to.

He was born Lever but when he was enobled he added his wife's surname, Hulme, to his. When a person is enobled (or knighted) they get to choose the name they wish to be known by. The only proviso is that it has to be different from anyone elses.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Topper said:
That sort of wealth, all from a bit of soap

At least not dirty money :p

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
T_G said:
At least not dirty money :p

Well that's for sure ... clean as a whistle, well on the surface but there is often a dodgy side to most businesses one way or another.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
A soap factory would be a good place to laundry dirty money...
Anyways, nice pictures, looks like a nice area for a walk

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
T_G said:
A soap factory would be a good place to laundry dirty money...
Anyways, nice pictures, looks like a nice area for a walk

Was nice but a bit too crowded, they have turned two fields into car parks and there is still not enough room for everyone to park, the place was heaving
(just as I was after your last Jade Goody post:p)

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Lovely place - my Mum and Dad did some of their courting there. No sniggering please!