What dish with quattro LNB? Help?!!

joenitro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Satellite equipment yet!
My Location
Cheltenham U.K.
Hi all,
Would appreciate a little guidance/help from you on this as I am a novice with this stuff, as will no doubt become apparent when you read the text below:p

Having just converted a 60cm zone 2 dish from a quad LNB to a Triax quattro LNB and Vision V5-512MP multiswitch setup (so I can eventually feed more flats on the estate after digital switchover), I am having some slight signal issues.

On the original setup, my (then) Sky HD box would always give about 80-90% signal strength and 90 - 100% quality on all channels - no dropouts in bad weather etc. and I was very happy. The flat above me (using the other two feeds from the quad LN:cool: were also happy with their signal with no reported dropouts, even in bad weather. That dish and LNB etc ran perfectly for 18 months.

However, since changing to the quattro LNB and multiswitch, but keeping the same dish, the flat above (that still have Sky and therefore more channels than I do!) have reported some channels dropping out intermittently and going 'blocky' etc. I have also noticed it a couple of time on recorded programs from BBC1 HD. Bit odd as that gives about 90% strength and 100% quality on my current Foxsat HDR box.:confused

Have checked alignment with a proper installers meter this evening again and all seems OK.:confused
I have one theory though: can the Triax quattro LNB be used with a "Sky zone 2 60cm dish" of the 'oval shape'? Have been researching online and seen a couple of posts mentioning that quattros should only be used with round dishes due to scaling rings:confused in the LNB.

Please could anyone advise?

Joe

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Two points: First you are right that inefficiency is introduced by the mismatch of feedhorn shape/dish shape. Second, you generally need to step up a dish size when using a Quattro. Perhaps 80cm?

joenitro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No Satellite equipment yet!
My Location
Cheltenham U.K.
Tivù said:
Two points: First you are right that inefficiency is introduced by the mismatch of feedhorn shape/dish shape. Second, you generally need to step up a dish size when using a Quattro. Perhaps 80cm?

Wow, thanks Tivù for the super-rapid reply!!
Well, the LNB mismatch was only a guess really, as I was struggling to find any confirmation of whether that WAS the case or not! Is that a fact then? i.e. is any quattro LNB simply 'not recommended' for an elliptical dish like mine?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, it is correct, there are no quattro LNBs for Sky type dishes. Sky LNBs with feedhorns designed for Sky minidishes ideally only should be used. Apart from that, it is usual to up the dish size a little when using a quattro. A triax TD78 or maybe a Penta 68cm should do the job. A Hirschmann 85cm is another really good choice, and should give an almost cast iron signal.