What is a CAM

Messages
2
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
euromax em5000 FTA
Pentium II, 500MHz
My Location
Pakistan
#1
What exactly is a CAM. Do we need it. I mean I have an euromax 5000 FTA and I constantly upgrade its software from the Internet. Lets suppose I buy a reciever with CAM Interface, My question is will the CAM add something new to my reciever's functionality. In additon, I can only recieve Hotbird 13E.
 

PCD

DB Magician
Messages
632
Likes
1
#2
Nobody replied, so I will try. I don't know your receiver or what the uploaded soft provides you. But your rec is fta so I don't suppose you get any encrypted channels. In general, to clear any encrypted channel two items are required - a conditional access module (CAM) which unscambles the encryption (somewhat permanent) and keys, which the company changes often. A cam can be embedded in the receiver, in which case it is not a fta rec. Or a cam can be a separate item, in the form of a pcmcia which is inserted into the rec slot if it has any. Hope this helps. Regards, pcd.
 
Messages
10
Likes
0
#4
PCD said:
Nobody replied, so I will try. I don't know your receiver or what the uploaded soft provides you. But your rec is fta so I don't suppose you get any encrypted channels. In general, to clear any encrypted channel two items are required - a conditional access module (CAM) which unscambles the encryption (somewhat permanent) and keys, which the company changes often. A cam can be embedded in the receiver, in which case it is not a fta rec. Or a cam can be a separate item, in the form of a pcmcia which is inserted into the rec slot if it has any. Hope this helps. Regards, pcd.
Hi there
I would like to know if a CAM can Unscramble all Non- Subcsribe Chanels on PAY-Tv ( Viacess2.5 ) with an ORIGINAL CARD .I want to say , if a CAM can allow to Decrpt all channels with an ORGINAL CARD ((which has been paid for only limited Channels ))i.e from simple package to PREMIUM(full) PACKAGE !!
If so please tell me what should i do ?
Thnks
 

JTA

Regular Member
Messages
557
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
#5
hansraj2001 said:
I would like to know if a CAM can Unscramble all Non- Subcsribe Chanels on PAY-Tv ( Viacess2.5 ) with an ORIGINAL CARD[/QUOTE]
have a look at this site : http://www.lefdata.com/satellite/cam/ci.html
you will see a list of available CAM's and a test result with some original cards to see if these cards work with that CAM.
If you haven't got a cam yet, I'd go for a Dragon or a Matrix Revolution, they're the most flexible CAM's around and they give the best results with original cards. A warning though : some CAM's do not seem to work on some receivers ! Check your receiver's forum first, or go to the appropriate CAM forum and ask if that CAM works with your receiver first.
 
Messages
10
Likes
0
#6
I did not get any usefull info there :-doh! . SO can you tell me if DRAGON CAM can UNSCRAMBLE / DECRPT unauthorised channels from my Subscription Card or enable me to view all the Channels ??
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,671
Likes
1,279
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#7
No, a CAM can be as simple as something which takes a card, or perhaps be programmed to decrypt some channels without a card, but it will not add any channels to your legitimate card.
 

JTA

Regular Member
Messages
557
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
#8
hansraj2001 said:
I did not get any usefull info there :-doh! . SO can you tell me if DRAGON CAM can UNSCRAMBLE / DECRPT unauthorised channels from my Subscription Card or enable me to view all the Channels ??
so you want to view unautorised channels with an official card ? That's a bit of an evil question :rolleyes: Your CAM will show you all channels that your official card will allow you to view. Other channels will NOT be opened if they are encrypted, unless the CAM can dycrypt them himself (yes, keys). You're talking viaccess 2.5 - Dragon knows viaccess 2, but I doubt if 2.5 has allready been cracked. But since I don't have a dragon, I can't tell for certain.
 
Top