What is the best meter to use?

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a sky mini dish + a Dreambox 600S with Gemini- 430 and CCcam 2.0.8
My Location
Cornwall UK
Can anyone recommend a meter for aligning a sky mini dish? It has already been installed but im missing some channels. What is the most user friendly economy priced meter do they have to be connected to the reciever as well as the dish?

G

Have you considered Interference as a cause rather than misalignment?

What Channels are missing?

Are they things like Flava, Bliss, True Movies?

OTOH, if it is an alignment issue, just use the Receiver as a Meter, as you are only going to be the tiniest amount out.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes need to establish what channels are missing and what your getting on the screen. Has it just happened?...Were the channels missing from install?

rai uno said:
Are they things like Flava, Bliss, True Movies?

Not forgetting it this time then Rai, lol :)

G

satelliteman said:
Yes need to establish what channels are missing and what your getting on the screen. Has it just happened?...Were the channels missing from install?

Not forgetting it this time then Rai, lol :)

Moi?

No chance .............. O-zzz

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
hi i am mainly missing the world movies channel see this _http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/b-sky-b-digital-28-2-east-general/142823-where-world-movies-channel-gone.html also setanta has bad reception but i know thats on 28.5E any ideas what i should do

G

Yes.

Just move the Dish a tiny bit further East (millimetres only).

As you are virtually aligned (or you wouldn't get anything at all!), the misalignment (I think we can now assume that is the real issue) is small - If you have a helper, you could even determine which way to move the Dish before actually loosening any clamps by gently pressuring the LNB arm one way then the other (and also up and down) whilst your helper tells you "better" or "worse" using the Signal Bars on the Box.

Don't block the signal while you are playing, obviously!

A Zone 1 Minidish should be perfectly ok for you in Cornwall (assuming that is what you have got!).

If there is no improvement, trying a different LNB may help as performance can drop off at the very edges of the band and World Movies is right oop top.

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Can you explain what this means "A Zone 1 Minidish"? also what channel should i put the reciever on to see signal % while i am trying to realign it?

G

erukus said:
Can you explain what this means "A Zone 1 Minidish"? also what channel should i put the reciever on to see signal % while i am trying to realign it?

Your profile says "A SkyMiniDish" - these come in two sizes, small referred to as Zone 1, larger as Zone 2.

North of UK and Northern Ireland generally require Zone 2, but much of central and southern UK can manage with the smallest size.

As you are in Cornwall, the smaller one is sufficient.

I merely mentioned it as there are places in the country that are borderline and sometimes upgrading to a Zone 2 Dish would help.

Do you have a SkyBox or are you only using your Dreambox?

If SkyBox, then the Box listens by default to 11778 V and you don't need to select a Channel.

If Dreambox, select any Eurobird Channel - preferably one that is pixellating.

I have to say, if you can drive a Dreambox (I haven't plucked up the courage for that yet!), fine tuning a Dish should be a doddle :)

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
hi erukus you could always buy one of those cheap needle meters maplin do them for £15 ,probably be ok for peaking the dish now its on the right sat good luck

erukus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok thanks for the info one final question I have to ask as to the meaning of "pixelating" Intuitively i would say meaning some kind of picture being displayed as opposed to blank screen????

G

erukus said:
Ok thanks for the info one final question I have to ask as to the meaning of "pixelating" Intuitively i would say meaning some kind of picture being displayed as opposed to blank screen????

One that is struggling!

ie Missing pixels or "blockiness": A sign of being marginal.

Doesn't really matter, though - any old Channel you can get from Eurobird will do, I suppose.