What is the Sky+ 2 like for Fringe reception

P

pjij

Member
Messages
5
Likes
0
My Location
Modena, Italy
#1
What about the v2 Sky+ digibox? Whats the tuner in that like?

Paul
 
O

Old Fred

Guest
#2
pjij said:
What about the v2 Sky+ digibox? Whats the tuner in that like?
If it uses the tiny tuners as in the Pace BSKYB2600 then it should be excellent. If it uses the (upright) Z.I.F. tuners as used in the version 1 and the BSKYB2500 then it won't be very good.

Fred
 
C

Carlos

Member
Messages
28
Likes
0
#3
Whilst we are on the SKY + Box, does it work with the new Free2View Cards and does the recording feature need to be activated for F2V as apparently it does for SKY subscription channels?
 
Leee

Leee

Regular Member
Messages
515
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
#4
Compared to Pace2200 (100% S/70% Q) my V2 Sky+ box has 90% S and 90% Q on both tuners using the default transponded. It's damn quick too.

Carlos - a Free2View card will work but to record, I'd say you'll need to pay £10 and maybe even take up a pukker Sky sub for this :)
 
PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Messages
15,917
Likes
3,162
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
#5
Leee said:
Carlos - a Free2View card will work but to record, I'd say you'll need to pay £10 and maybe even take up a pukker Sky sub for this :)
From what I've read you can use an FTV card but you need to subscribe in order to use the recording (and more importantly playback) facilities of $ly+. Currently £10 per month I believe.

PaulR
 
W

wobbly

Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Digibox, Panasonic HDD DVDR
Samsung LE40R86
My Location
Germany
#6
PaulR said:
From what I've read you can use an FTV card but you need to subscribe in order to use the recording (and more importantly playback) facilities of $ly+. Currently £10 per month I believe.

PaulR
What I've found works quite nicely is marrying up a Panasonic HDD DVD Recorder with my TU DSB 31 Sky Box - the Panasonic DVD Recorders have something called "external link" which means by settign "autoview" on the Sky box, it switches the DVD on and starts recording at begin of the program, ending it at the end of the program.

Means you never have to set a video ever again, also the series link functions, means if the weekly / daily program switches slots, it'll still switch on at the right time ;-)

So, no need for Sky+.... also any programs you want to keep full time, just burn them onto a DVD - result :-)
 
Zorba

Zorba

Regular Member
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#7
Thats cool,any other make of dvd recorder do this ?
 
C

Cupart

Regular Member
Messages
306
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
....
My Location
....
#8
wobbly said:
What I've found works quite nicely is marrying up a Panasonic HDD DVD Recorder with my TU DSB 31 Sky Box - the Panasonic DVD Recorders have something called "external link" which means by settign "autoview" on the Sky box, it switches the DVD on and starts recording at begin of the program, ending it at the end of the program.

Means you never have to set a video ever again, also the series link functions, means if the weekly / daily program switches slots, it'll still switch on at the right time ;-)

So, no need for Sky+.... also any programs you want to keep full time, just burn them onto a DVD - result :-)
But you can't watch something else while recording which is one of the main selling points getting a SKY+ box... The older SD Sky+ boxes are getting quite cheap now on e*ay so why bother with two seperate boxes?
 
W

wobbly

Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Digibox, Panasonic HDD DVDR
Samsung LE40R86
My Location
Germany
#9
Cupart said:
But you can't watch something else while recording which is one of the main selling points getting a SKY+ box... The older SD Sky+ boxes are getting quite cheap now on e*ay so why bother with two seperate boxes?
Rarely found any two programs on UK TV that I want to watch which coincide with one another.... the "+1" channels are an excellent help for that....
 
W

wobbly

Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Digibox, Panasonic HDD DVDR
Samsung LE40R86
My Location
Germany
#10
zorba said:
Thats cool,any other make of dvd recorder do this ?
No, it's a peculiarity of Panasonic equipment. The "Ext Link" button puts it into a mode where it awaits instructions via SCART from (ie) the Sky Box. Until that time, it's switched off. Cool is that you can still timeslip / pause live recording / watch other programes already recorded whilst recording or in "ext Link" mode.
 
C

Cupart

Regular Member
Messages
306
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
....
My Location
....
#11
wobbly said:
Rarely found any two programs on UK TV that I want to watch which coincide with one another.... the "+1" channels are an excellent help for that....
Unfortunately the timeshift option doesn't exist for channels like BBC 1 and BBC 2 (amongst others) which would be great if they excisted. Funny that you mention the +1 channels as Discovery now also have a +1,5 time shift.

Anyway, I still believe you're better off with one integrated system instead of two seperate boxes, but it all comes down to ones personal preferences. I do see the pros and cons of each though... :)
 
Top