what is upscaling

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
I have a goodmans freeview box with a hdmi socket and it uses upscaling, i know there aint know hd on freeview "at the mo":-rofl2 so what is the point of upscaling would it make using an hd tv look better with terrestrial digital tv:toke:

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
upscaling,set your normal pal tv picutres wth 720 lines to hd tv standart 1080 I Hd!
does upscaleres was very expensice in the past around 2000€ 2 years ago,now on luxury lcd sceens there integrated,so you dont have to buy speratly!

,you must have very good picture quality,other wise ,the result of an upscaled picture is misarable!

so you cant watch vhs tapes for e.g. looks not good!

if you want a cheaper solution you can also modifeized any satelite stb with integrated upscaler,it isnt cheap but it works also on old dbox 1 with dvb 2000

if you need profesional help on this questions contact,this germany company!

++p://www.spatz-tech.de/

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It probably upscales SD to HD.

Short answer: Upscaling is the conversion of a lower resolution video image (e.g. 720x480p) to a higher resolution (e.g. 1280x720p).

Longer answer (for a DVD player but the process is much the same):

Standard DVD Resolution

A standard DVD player, without upscaling, can output video resolution at 720x480 (480i). A progressive scan DVD player, without upscaling, can output 720x480 (480p - progressive scan) video signals.

480i represents 720 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 480 pixels down a screen vertically. This arrangement yields 480 horizontal lines, which are, in turn, displayed alternately. In other words, all the odd lines are displayed, followed by all the even lines.

480p represents 720 pixels displayed across the screen horizontally and 480 pixels down the screen vertically. This arrangement yields 480 horizontal lines on the screen, which are, in turn, displayed progressively, or each line displayed following another.

The Upscaling Process

Upscaling is a process that mathematically matches the pixel count of the output of the DVD signal to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, which is typically 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i).

720p represents 1,280 pixels displayed across the screen horizontally and 720 pixels down the screen vertically. This arrangement yields 720 horizontal lines on the screen, which are, in turn, displayed progressively, or each line displayed following another.

1080i represents 1,920 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 1,080 pixels down a screen vertically. This arrangement yields 1,080 horizontal lines, which are, in turn, displayed alternately. In other words, all the odd lines are displayed, followed by all the even lines.

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Cheers guys , i think i should have said simple explination:-rofl2 and i think i missed worded the sentance, i should have said would it make the digital terrestrial signal "freeview" look like an hd signal. ie: better picture quaility compared to the standard freeview picture;) if it was connect to an hd tv
Gaz