What motorised system?

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm quite new to motorised systems and was wondering if any one could give me any pointers. I have set up quite a few fixed systems both for astra 28,2E and Thor/Sirius in France and Denmark, but would like to get a wider choice of entertainment.

I know that it used to be quite difficult to install motorised systems before DisEq was introduced and came across USALS for the first time a few weeks ago. What exactly is USALS and how does it work? Can I just plug a pole in the ground, instal some device to the dish (aprox. 1m) and that's it? I'm quite sure I read somewhere that you only should "tell" the dish of 2 or 3 positions and it would follow the clark belt automaticaly. Is this correct? I know this is a difficult question to answer, but what receiver should I be looking for?

I have also read quite a lot about the dreambox but can seem to find any spec. information on the box? Anyone have a link to an online user guide or anything of the like?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers :-)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Cupart said:
I know that it used to be quite difficult to install motorised systems before DisEq was introduced and came across USALS for the first time a few weeks ago. What exactly is USALS and how does it work? Can I just plug a pole in the ground, instal some device to the dish (aprox. 1m) and that's it? I'm quite sure I read somewhere that you only should "tell" the dish of 2 or 3 positions and it would follow the clark belt automaticaly. Is this correct?
They only work with STAB motors as far as i know. If your pole is 'exactly vertical and the receiver is USALS compatable then you are correct.

I have also read quite a lot about the dreambox but can seem to find any spec. information on the box? Anyone have a link to an online user guide or anything of the like?

Try here the official site with manuals etc and spec...

h**p://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/

The Dreambox is a lot of work if you understand computers should be worth the effort in the end.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The USALS protocol is now available in one way or another on several motors, but the initial setup is no different, you still need to find your due south satellite and make sure that the arc is correct. USALS merely saves time in looking for the other satellites once the dish is installed.

There are several threads on the forum regarding the setup of a DiseqC motor and a complete section on the Dreambox, with several informative guides.