What size of dish for finding Aliens and such?

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Anyone know what size of dish is best for finding aliens?

I saw on Discovery that they uses a 35 meter dish aligned in array with 5 other of the same size.

Problem being is that they use too small dishes i beleive, that's why we won't find aliens.

Is there any mathematical calculations what the best sized dish would be to really get good results?

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
good question.
well figuring how far the signal has to come and how much loss in signal there is it is hard to determine.
if the signal was comming from 100 light years and it has to travel for 100 years without hitting any solid planet of without a star like sun braking up the signal and it has to punch through out stratusphere. its hard that we would ever detect something here.
now if they were able to place a big dish in space and were able to filter out noise the chances would be greater.
still 100 years to say how are you and another 100 to hear we are fine is it worth it??
.now having them comming here in warp drive ships thats different.
ralph

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You will of course need a dish that moves outside of the normal plane for the geostationary satellites, plus (depending on whether the aliens are on a planet, or are already on their way to attack with their disrupters, and grab you for your vital organs), you will require a moderate to fast tracking set of motors.

What set of frequencies they might be communicating in would be useful, you will need to attach the right feedhorn and all the gubbins to optimise the signal. Then there is the type of broadcast, as well as the language they might choose to use (though they might not tell you before it is too late and you are already being probed).

They may be using the telepathic wavelength, which makes detection a bit tricky as out local surplus store is fresh out of extra terrestrial pre-sensory perceptors, and the helmets they do have for the purpose are only the small size.

Of course the tin foil hat is mandatory, as is the bunker to hide in. Plans of both are available on the net.

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Capestang, Herault, South of France
The tin-foil hat won't save you. They're already here. My girlfriend works for them.

As for the size of dish for detecting shall we say 'newcomers', I just watched 'Contact' with Jodie Foster, and measured the dishes in that. On my 32" screen they're about 7" most of the time.
I think this has to lead to the conclusion that to detect anything serious, you'll need a bigger TV.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The SETI search (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence uses the Arecibo radio telescope - that ones 305m in diameter (1001 ft!) Its built into a sinkhole crater :D

Huskybloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm superjack Technomate 5200d
My Location
Essex
Surely it depends on what size aliens you want to detect!!