What's the 'trickery' going on - 3pm Soccer game unwatchable

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m antennae fixed H/bird/ Eurobird 9 and 60cm SKY dish
My Location
UK - SW England - Glos'shire
I have a genuine NOVA Cyprus package and tried to watch the Wigan v Man U game this afternoon (26/2/11)

It was unwatchable, ( as was LTV) - yet VH1 and MTV Greece were rock solid - all broadcast from the same frequency/ transponder

Now.. *I* am in the UK and we have Nova and Russian TV - the signal quality s 100%

So, what is going on.. ?

It MUST be a ruse to stop folk in W.Europe watching this game.. as SOON as it finished the picture came back, PERFECTLY..

I apologise if this has been posted elsewhere... I'd LOVE to know if this is a deliberate policy to reduce power on LTV/ Alfa.. or is their some sort of interference ?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Apparently the Libyans have been "blocking" satellite signals from Hotbird, since Nova is on Hotbird perhaps this could be causing you a problem, it was reportedly to have been affecting Private Spice, in some attempt to block news Channels.

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks Robbo.. I'd like to think so, but I could view all other channels of Nova Cyprus and my Wife is Russian and all her H/B channels were fine..

Most bizarre of all is that other channels on the same transponder were unaffected ?

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
I watched it OK

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
aileen said:
I watched it OK

OP says it was "unwatchable", but doesn't say in what way ie Absent: Pixellated: Something else.

I think we should be told.

(Glad yours was fine!)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I watched the game on nova sport 1 and had no such problems during the match, quite strange how yours went off.

does your receiver have a problem reading the card or the lnb going faulty on h or v channels ?

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks to all that have replied.

The LNB and dish setup are PERFECT - as it is normally used to receive both HBird and Eurobird 9 stuff and we get 97-100% signal quality on any receiver we attach on all the channels we watch.

The problems of pixellation and sound break up were classic 'lack of quality signal' yet all other channels on the transponder were fine... and the receiver reported 100% quality

Wod, I assuming you watched using Nova GREECE' broadcast - not Nova Cyprus on Alfa ?

Aileen, can you please confirm what channel you were watching ? Thanks ;)

I enclose the lyngsat link to view the transponder details:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/nova.html

The freq is 10930 - What I CAN@T get my head around is why other channels such as MTV Greece and VH1 Europe - on the same transponder - were not affected, too ?

It just seems too much of a coincidence re the timing...

As soon as the game finished - the pixellation and sound breakup ceased !

I'm told that there were no such issues for folk watching the game in Cyprus

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Janus_ru said:
Wod, I assuming you watched using Nova GREECE' broadcast - not Nova Cyprus on Alfa ?

The freq is 10930

yes it was nova greece I saw the game on.

if there was signal jamming, it would have affected people in cyprus as well as across europe.

the only thing that can happen is if nova find out the card is used outside greece/cyprus it will be cut off.

could be some interference in your area from a phone mast or something ?

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
wod said:
yes it was nova greece I saw the game on.

Thanks for confirming !

wod said:
if there was signal jamming, it would have affected people in cyprus as well as across europe.

Sure.. that's why I thought it might have been a deliberate act by the broadcaster..

wod said:
could be some interference in your area from a phone mast or something ?

Hmm, thought of that - but surely the would have wiped out VH1 Europe, MTV Greece, etc, on the same transponder ?... the timing was just too coincidental..:(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
My girlfriend used to pull the card from the receiver when Benny Hill was on Scandinavian TV in those 90's D2MAC days.

(Not fully out, just by a millimetre or so. Took me weeks to figure it out)

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
Channel Hopper said:
My girlfriend used to pull the card from the receiver when Benny Hill was on Scandinavian TV in those 90's D2MAC days.

(Not fully out, just by a millimetre or so. Took me weeks to figure it out)

pmsl, i dunno about the question though!

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
update : Watching the West Ham v Liverpool game now - without an issue - on the Nova Cyprus system ( although the picture is infinitely better on SKY's HD feed ! ) ..

I guess the proof of the pudding will be if it plays up next Saturday at 3pm

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its possible its the same as what happened with footy on Foxturk a few years ago. Can't remeber which sat it was, i think it was either 33e or 36e.

A few minutes before the game the signal was rock solid in the UK. When the game started the signal in the UK disapeared.

From what i remember it was theorised that on the FTA channel the uplink power was lowered just after the game started.

As the signal going up was weaker, it had the same effect on the rebroadcast signal. It didn't affect anyone in Turkey but the signal outside of Turkey rapidly dropped off.

Nano

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
Janus_ru said:
Thanks to all that have replied.

The LNB and dish setup are PERFECT - as it is normally used to receive both HBird and Eurobird 9 stuff and we get 97-100% signal quality on any receiver we attach on all the channels we watch.

The problems of pixellation and sound break up were classic 'lack of quality signal' yet all other channels on the transponder were fine... and the receiver reported 100% quality

Aileen, can you please confirm what channel you were watching ? Thanks ;)

I enclose the lyngsat link to view the transponder details:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/nova.html

The freq is 10930 - What I CAN@T get my head around is why other channels such as MTV Greece and VH1 Europe - on the same transponder - were not affected, too ?

Nova Sport

Janus_ru

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nanochickin said:
A few minutes before the game the signal was rock solid in the UK. When the game started the signal in the UK disapeared.

From what i remember it was theorised that on the FTA channel the uplink power was lowered just after the game started.

As the signal going up was weaker, it had the same effect on the rebroadcast signal. It didn't affect anyone in Turkey but the signal outside of Turkey rapidly dropped off.

Nano

Thanks.. it makes sense.. seems the Prem League's influence is all encompassing ..?!

@aileen

I heard that the P. League were putting pressure on Nova GR to cease the Eng lang feed, and I have biz in CY so Nova CY seemed to make more sense.. With so many UK expats I didn't think that Nova CY would cut the Eng land feed ..