Where's My Signal Gone?

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Old Sky minidish, Philex 80cm dish, Triax TD88 dish, Humax Foxsat HD receiver, Technomate TM600 receiver.
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
*** NOOB Satellitist ***

Hi All,

I'm stuck, basically...

Here's what I got:

[01] Humax Foxsat HD Receiver
[02] Universal 0.2db LNB
[03] 80cm Fixed Dish

4 days ago, I set up the above configuration, and got a full Freesat service (it even verified my postcode!).

The next day, however, my neighbours car remotes stopped working and they requested that I took down the dish, to eliminate it as a suspect for the mysterious malfunctioning keyfobs. The dish made no difference whatsoever to their problem, and I proceded to refit my dish.

However... upon starting up the receiver again, I found I had no signal (obviously I had to realign the dish). Since this point, I have still not received any signal at all.

Through trial and error, here's what I've tried so far to fix my problem...

[01] Used a satellite meter (cheapo meter) to find a signal

No noticeable signals found. Meter illuminates, so I know there is power going thru to the meter.

[02] Replaced my old $ky dish, to see if that received anything.

No luck here either.

[03] Used a totally new length of coax cable with new connectors.

No difference.

[04] Used a compass to manually find 28 degrees East.

This is where I've left it as I speak, and no signals found.

[05] Tried a different LNB (Technomate TM-2).

Again, no difference in results.

[06] Changed receiver to a brand new Technomate TM600 (with updated UR image)

Using the on-screen signal meter, when the LNB cable is connected I get no higher than 24% SNR, when disconnected obviously I get 0%.

So, I've effectively tried a whole new setup, and cannot find any signals for love nor money.

Why????!!

Am I maybe missing something blindingly obvious? Can anything interfere with satellite signals, bearing in mind there are no obstructions between the dish and the open sky?

Please help, if anyone has any suggestions :)

Cheers guys.. FG

(ps: the neighbours car fobs are still not fixed either!)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Did you originally install the dish yourself or did somebody do it for you?
You can eliminate the receiver by connecting it to another dish, even a friends, so long as they have a Sky dish set up correctly.
I would assume that you haven't correctly aligned your dish, as you're getting insufficient signal quality but this depends on your expertise at setting up dishes.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Get an installer in, and any charge/repair/replacement receiver should be forwarded to your neighbours for full payment by return.

They can then try to claim off their motor insurance (if they are actually intelligent enough to be insured) and everybody is happy.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sounds like your just unable to locate/ align to the satellite again - If you've checked everything including cables, termination etc then just keep at it, your bound to hit soon enough.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, dish interfearing with garage remote????
who came up with this idea.
your neighbors should have called someone and asked.
the dish is a receive only and receives a signal at 10.7 ghz
the remote woeks in the area of 300 or so magaheartz and it is impossible
it is more likely the radio board stoped working in the garge remote then something else ham radio,cb radio or small baby monoter radio that transmitts near by.
i would bill them the call out charge for sure.
ralph

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No Ralph the post states the car remotes not garage remotes, which could certainly have been inconvenient for them not being able to access their car, even though as stated technically impossible. I would have stood my ground regarding taking down the dish as obviously they were just looking for an excuse to complain about your ugly dish tarnishing their neigbourhood and are as obviously technically minded as an amoeba. As mentioned it will be just trial and error until you get the correct alignment of the dish again bearing in mind there are multiple satellites up there on the Clarke curve

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Topper said:
I would have stood my ground regarding taking down the dish as obviously they were just looking for an excuse to complain about your ugly dish tarnishing their neigbourhood and are as obviously technically minded as an amoeba.

No need to insult single celled organisms. ;)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Reminds me of a line by Holly in Red Dwarf ...............

_http://www.cultv.co.uk/red.htm

A nonymous

Reaction score
The next day, however, my neighbours car remotes stopped working and they requested that I took down the dish, to eliminate it as a suspect for the mysterious malfunctioning keyfobs.

I know what i would have told them to go and do, dozy twonks!

If that was the case since every street has at least one dish then it looks like were all doomed to be not able to ever get into our cars ever again :-lmao

Analoguesats neighbours would be really screwed with the ammount of dishes he has in the back garden :-lol

Nano

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Old Sky minidish, Philex 80cm dish, Triax TD88 dish, Humax Foxsat HD receiver, Technomate TM600 receiver.
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
I've left the fixed dish alone for a few days now after still not being able to reach anything over 20% signal.

I've now erected a TD88 / TM2300 motorised setup on the other side of the house, and yes, you guessed it, I cannot find any signal readings over 20% however hard I try to find AtlanticBird3 @ 5W or Thor @ 0.8W.

Could this possibly indicate I have two faulty LNBs? It's about the only thing I can think of which may be at fault. The dish is set at ~22 degrees and the latitude set at 53degrees on the motor, aiming naturally at roughly true south. Just strange how I can't get any decent readings anymore on either a fixed or motorised setup, when before I have found it fairly straight-forward to find a decent signal with a fixed dish at least.

ps: yes, I installed everything myself.

Thanks again for your time.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
More likely you have the angles wrong on your motorized setup, check the guides for how to install a motorized dish, very unlikely to have two faulty LNB's.
How are you trying to get a signal? Are you using a meter or using your receiver tuned to a specific channel?

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
To be honest, as it's my first motor setup, I am still getting to grips with the OSD setup options on the TM600, but in short, I'm driving the motor to 0, then adjusting the motor using the tune/fine tune options, as well as using the dishpointer_com site to guide me as to where I should be aiming for each satellite.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It would probably be best if you could upload some pictures, including shots of the motor and the angles you've got it set at.

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
As requested, I've managed to get some photos uploaded to give an idea as to how and where I have things installed.

Starting With The Motorised Dish...

[01] Shows dish pointing at roughly South, with a clear view of the skies

_http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/madnesstiger/distantdish.jpg

[02] Shows LNB and arm close-up

_http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/madnesstiger/closeup2.jpg

[03] Shows dish and motor elevation config, as close up as I could without getting the ladders out!

_http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/madnesstiger/closeup.jpg

And the fixed dish... pointing roughly at 28E on front of house (far side of house when comparing with other photos above)

_http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k438/madnesstiger/2nddish.jpg

Both dishes are still not getting more than 20% signal (according to on-screen settings) wherever I point them!

[fieldset=Admin]Please upload pictures to our server not someone elses[/fieldset]

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
Sorry admin, about the pictures/server issue... won't happen again!

Well, I officially give up on trying to set up the motorised dish.

I've been back upto the dish/motor, and re-set the motor to 37deg elevation (as mentioned in motor manual), and checket that dish is set to 22.4 on bracket (again, as mentioned in motor manual). Pole is straight. Still not getting any signals over 19% on receiver no matter how many times I press 'fine tune E/W'.

On a mission to find a reputable pro to come and sort it for me!

fastglass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Notts, UK @ 53.14N
Uploaded pictures to satellites` server... here's what I have so far.

TM2300 Motor: 37deg elevation
Triax TD88 Dish: 22.4deg elevation

White dish is fixed dish, still to find a signal again with that one!

Attachments

• 2nddish.jpg
    2nddish.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
  • closeup2.jpg
    closeup2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 26
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 25
  • distantdish.jpg
    distantdish.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 26

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I've only a couple of comments. I used to have a TD88 and found the elevation scale to be less than accurate, so setting it to what the manual says may not be spot on. Are you using any kind of meter to achieve your alignment or shinning on and off the roof to check the readings on the receiver? I'd recommend trying a needle and tone meter initially, just to prove you are roughly correct when you finally hit your due South sat.

Oh, one other thing. Does the setup absolutely have to be so far above the eaves? Maybe it's the angle of the photo but it looks like the weight of the motor and dish is bending the pole away from vertical. I'd check that the pole is plumb before trying any other adjustments, or lowering the set up a bit, unless you have an line of sight issue.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Thin walled aluminium masts should be avoided for large dish / motor installations. If you can, get yourself a steel scaffold or thick walled aluminium scaffold mast.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Is the white dish pointed at Astra 2, 28.2E, as it appears to be tilted forward?