Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hello,

I would like to get a new TV for my boy's toys room. My room is quite small and I sit about 1.5 meters away from the screen, which at the moment is a Panasonic 37" plasma one from 2008. It's a brilliant telly but sitting so close to it is hurting my eyes.

So, I want a 32" TV, preferably plasma but I think LCD might be easier on the eyes. I want one with good connectivity - at least 3x HDMI ports but preferably 4x. I don't really care about resolution but I do want a good quality picture - especially from up close. My Panny is excellent with SD material and has a natural tone to it - very CRT like! "Smart" capabilities would be welcome so I can get rid of my Dune HD box, though that would have to be a Samsung.... probably.

Budget - the less the better but I don't want to spend more than around £120-130. A decent brand would be good - Samsung, Sony, LG etc. None of the supermarket stuff even though I know they share components.

Advice?
CJ

S

Steve Steve

You won't get a 32" plasma as I don't think one that size was ever made ....37" plasma ....is also a thing of the past........42" and upwards is the only plasma available now.......The latest 32" LED Panny is prob worth a look at........but it seems all the new super thin flat screens suffer from very poor sound quality..!!......maybe a sound bar might also be necessary....

Ps ....Great choice of a 37" plasma.....Brill TV..!!....I have a Similar "TH-37PX80EA" in the bedroom...!!...Just a shame they are not made anymore...:-((

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, it's a brilliant TV - a TH-37PX8B. I thought I was buying a 80B one but the eBay seller was mistaken so I ended up with this.

There *were* 32" plasmas made - one by LG at least, but not any more. I am obviously looking for a 2nd hand TV, not new.

Last edited:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Yeah, it's a brilliant TV - a TH-37PX8B. I thought I was buying a 80B one but the eBay seller was mistaken so I ended up with this.

There *were* 32" plasmas made - one by LG at least, but not any more. I am obviously looking for a 2nd hand TV, not new.
Well CJ ..you have educated me today ..and I've beed repairing TVs since I was a kid ..
In all that time I have _never_ seen a 32 inch plasma ..
I honestly didn't think such a thing was even possible as the pixels dictate the screen size ..and there is a minimum practical size limit to a plasma cell ..thus the pixel.

Do you rembember the model number ..cos I now want to see one..
??

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Just done a search on t'interweb ..and it seems Hitachi also did one - 32PD3000 -
Probably fitted with the same LG PDP ...but it's also claimed these PDPs used a method of pixel doubling to give Pseudo HD ready ..
thus overcoming the pixel size restriction ..
Thats HD ready ..not of course True HD ..as this would require more pixels in the same 32 inch frame.

No wonder it never caught on ..
Pointless as well as possibly a high display failure rate.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A quick Google search comes up with:

Philips 32PF9964 32" Plasma Television
LG 32PC5RVH Specs (32" plasma TV)
Philips 32PF9630 Specs (32" plasma TV)
LG 32PG6000 32 plasma tv
KE-32TS2 | 32" Plasma WEGA
KZ-32TS1 | 32" Plasma WEGA

Not saying that all (or even any!) are/were available in the UK.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ha! Did your own search VP. Important point you make on true HD as I think that the Philips is a 720 TV. Maybe the others as well?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Ha! Did your own search VP. Important point you make on true HD as I think that the Philips is a 720 TV. Maybe the others as well?
Yep ..Since very few companies actually make their own panels
LG Sony and Samsung ..
Chances are the list you came up with all used the same LG panel ..
The Chinese of course are prolific when it comes to LCD and LED panels ..but don't think they made Plasma display Panels.

S

Steve Steve

They all are probably 720P ?? ....1080P...arrived a lot latter on........If you all "Google" that too.... you will know.....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
.................. Other Search Engines are available ..................... ^_^

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
.................. But probably not as good ..................... ^_^

Besides, none of the others have become a verb yet. I've yet to hear of anyone binging or yahooing anything.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nay, lad: "ASKing" :-lol

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah it's the PG6000 I was looking at but went for the 37" Panny instead. The problem back then was that LCD panels were crap. Pictures looked very washed out and just horrible - especially on SD stuff. Plasmas were much better. Now, of course, LCDs have caught up and I prefer the Samsung 37" LCD's picture that we have downstairs as the image appears sharper ...though I think it's the full HD model rather than the 1366x768 affair on the Panny.