Which dish? Terms?

superloopy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85
My Location
UK, North East
I'm learning an awful lot from your efforts Dave :)

How did you get your dish before me I ask myself?

I'm thinking that I may 'have a go' myself but someone questioned the size of dish i've ordered, being based in the North east so i'm beginning to think i've not done the right thing here in buying an 85cm Penta.

Would anyone like to comment before i get some scaffolding erected and begin to fit the dish.

My dish would need to go above the rear roofline, i'd not get away with having it on the front of the house, and 'looks' SSE.

The reviews seemed to say that an 85cm Penta would be 'ok' for a motorised system but i've now got doubts and the whole thing may well not go ahead at all:confused

Keep up the good work but do not compromise on the safety side of things.

If you're of any age you'll remember Rod Hull's (who's he i hear most people saying) efforts to fix his aerial/dish :eek::eek::eek:

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Up and running -> FR Penta 85 dish, TM-02 twin LNB, TM-2300 motor, TM-5200D receiver
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Good idea with the rope...I needed help to hold mine in place while securing bolts and that was where we could both stand safely

superloopy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85
My Location
UK, North East
superloopy said:
I
The reviews seemed to say that an 85cm Penta would be 'ok' for a motorised system but i've now got doubts and the whole thing may well not go ahead at all:confused

Any opinions on my 85cm purchase (recommended for motorising) based up here in the North East? I feel an Ebay posting coming on :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The 85cm Penta performs very well by all accounts, ask satelliteman:-rofl2 or rolfw, as well as some 1m dishes.

Not as good as a 1m Gibertini, but if you have the dish already, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
I setup a Penta 68 earlier in the year and was very impressed at it's performance for the size of dish. It picked up 26e Verticals ! I don't think you will regret the 85, there won't be all that much missing from your arc.

superloopy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85
My Location
UK, North East
Robbo said:
The 85cm Penta performs very well by all accounts, ask satelliteman:-rofl2 or rolfw, as well as some 1m dishes.

Not as good as a 1m Gibertini, but if you have the dish already, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm thinking of swapping it for a Gibertini, any recommended sellers out there?

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
superloopy , i hope i haven t put you off m8 . give it ago with the penta . i personly am north of yourself of about 15 miles ..i used the meter dish gibbi ..and its mint for 1 west digi tv nova sport ... its just i try to think why be on the fringe cause we get an awful lot of bad weathjer m8 .. if you can get the nova sport into the 70s quality wise ( technomate ) you will be ok ..i don t know what reciever you have , but on my meter i can hit 99 quality with horizon meter . cant remember witch pol .. but good lock ..also you will be wanting 16 east aswell which can a pain ..never tried a 85 penta but give it ago m8 ..if sateliteman says they perform well than it must be right best of luck ..

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Up and running -> FR Penta 85 dish, TM-02 twin LNB, TM-2300 motor, TM-5200D receiver
My Location
Meath, Ireland
Hi Dave, I see from your pics that you have not trimmed back the bolts on your dish brackets connected to motor pole. I made the same mistake and seen the results today. The cable to the receiver got caught in one of the bolts and ripped out of the motor. Luciky the F connector gave way and no major damage was done. Would be probably easiest for you to do on ground before mounting and give quick rub of file or sandpaper to make sure there are no sharp edges after cutting.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 40

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Self Amalgamating tape wouldn't go a miss either. Don't rely on the two boots that are supplied as standard :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
LoMax said:
Hi Dave, I see from your pics that you have not trimmed back the bolts on your dish brackets connected to motor pole. I made the same mistake and seen the results today. The cable to the receiver got caught in one of the bolts and ripped out of the motor. Luciky the F connector gave way and no major damage was done. Would be probably easiest for you to do on ground before mounting and give quick rub of file or sandpaper to make sure there are no sharp edges after cutting.

Hope this helps

You'd be well advised to cable tie the Motor/LNB Cable to the Pole in the same way as you've done for the main cable: If you don't the next problem will be the F Plug at the end of that short cable becoming loose. It will tend to do so every time you swing right across the arc, but swinging back the other way won't re-tighten it (A bit like trying to push string!). Tying to the pole will prevent this from happening :)

Obviously you'll need to replace the existing cable with a slightly longer one.

LoMax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Meath, Ireland
I hope Dave doesnt mind me using his thread for a mo :)

Satelliteman: Ive sealed the bottom of rubber covers with silicon as the boots dont fit right.:) Was hoping this would be sufficient and stop any water from been blown back up the cables.

Tivu: I see what you mean...unfortunately I cut back the cable earlier today. Originally I had it running up the back of the dish and over the top of motor brackets.

Looks like I'll be back up that ladder again :(

Dave UK

Newbie Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ connected to Sky dish plus Technomate TM5400 CI+ connected to Penta 85 aluminium dish with TM-2300 motor & Invacom SNH-031 LNB.
My Location
Swindon UK
Well, I've sawn off the protruding screws and cable-tied the cable BUT..............I'm afraid I've chickened out of assembling the dish/motor to the pole:-crying

I have to admit it is a little beyond my capability (and nerve) so I will now have to call in a professional to finish the job for me.

I've got the name and number of a local guy called Eugene who quoted me £100 to do the complete installation, I wonder if he will lower his price seeing as I've done quite a bit of the work, only leaving the assembly of the dish/motor to the pole and the final setup. I realise this the most important part of the job but should I expect 'perfection' as it is being done by a pro?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Dave UK said:
should I expect 'perfection' as it is being done by a pro?
Being a "Pro" is about time and money, so with a "Pro" you get "good enough", not perfection.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dave UK said:
Well, I've sawn off the protruding screws and cable-tied the cable BUT..............I'm afraid I've chickened out of assembling the dish/motor to the pole:-crying

I have to admit it is a little beyond my capability (and nerve) so I will now have to call in a professional to finish the job for me.

I've got the name and number of a local guy called Eugene who quoted me £100 to do the complete installation, I wonder if he will lower his price seeing as I've done quite a bit of the work, only leaving the assembly of the dish/motor to the pole and the final setup. I realise this the most important part of the job but should I expect 'perfection' as it is being done by a pro?

Deep breath and build that courage - it really isn't a daunting exercise. In fact, when you've finished, it'll seem to have been remarkably easy.

So save your £100, grit your teeth, and get on with it! :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Personal safety comes first !
If your not happy to work off ladders at that height, don't take the risk :)

Dave UK

Newbie Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ connected to Sky dish plus Technomate TM5400 CI+ connected to Penta 85 aluminium dish with TM-2300 motor & Invacom SNH-031 LNB.
My Location
Swindon UK
satelliteman said:
Personal safety comes first !
If your not happy to work off ladders at that height, don't take the risk :)

You're absolutely right, Satman, I didn't get to my age by taking unnecessary risks.:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yep, just send the Mrs up there instead.......:-lmao

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
satelliteman said:
Yep, just send the Mrs up there instead.......:-lmao

Make sure you check the policy first and have paid this years premium :)

boothuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Don't have any yet! Still researching!
My Location
North West England
Is the Penta 0.85m suitable for NW England? Also, is it actually HD compatible?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
boothuk, try doing a search for 'penta' using the search tab :)
HD compatible is just a sales line, nothing more.