My Location
UK LONDON
Hi,

I am willing to buy a HD reciever that will do the following:
Control a motorised dish,
Recieve HD signals,
Be able to watch HD Freesat channels BBC, ITV.. etc in HD
Be able to watch Turksat..
The reciever should be able to upscale the SD channels but HD Channels should be TRUE HD and BBC etc. should show HD equivelent to a freesat box you buy from Argos for example and not just an UPSCALE.

The card readers should be able to read SKY/FREESAT(If that has any) and DIGITURK cards.

Also the recievers I found have 1080i and not 1080p i couldn't find any that has 1080p, are there any?

Any suggestions?

These are the recievers I know of..
_http://www.technomate.com/products2.php

Thanks.

[Moderation] Unparsed URL

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I would suggest a Humax Foxsat HD (or HDR if you want to record).

You can use it in Freesat mode to watch BBC and the rest of the Freesat channels and then in non-Freesat mode to control a Diseqc steerable dish.

The Foxsat will upscale to 1080i and show BBC and ITV HD offerings in their true format - which is 1080i.

There is a CI slot which I believe can be used in non-Freesat mode BUT there is NO CAM available for $ly cards.

There are no receivers for 1080p as no-one transmits 1080p!

user1001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate, pace
2 dishes , 1motor 1 normal
My Location
UK LONDON
PaulR said:
I would suggest a Humax Foxsat HD (or HDR if you want to record).

You can use it in Freesat mode to watch BBC and the rest of the Freesat channels and then in non-Freesat mode to control a Diseqc steerable dish.

The Foxsat will upscale to 1080i and show BBC and ITV HD offerings in their true format - which is 1080i.

There is a CI slot which I believe can be used in non-Freesat mode BUT there is NO CAM available for $ly cards.

There are no receivers for 1080p as no-one transmits 1080p!

Thanks for your answer =),

is the non free sat mode any good ? how does that work ?

what is a diseqC stearable dish, and if it is motorised would the reciever actually turn it ??

What i mean by upscaling is that using some sort of technology it will upscale e.g 720p chanels so that it shows the channel like its 1080 something like anti aliasing technology if you get what I mean. saying that, did you mean that it will show the HD channels in true 1080 without any sort of technology like I mentioned?
also if it had a technology that will upscale the 720 channels, that'd be great :p

what is a CI slot?
can you elaborate on this bit ?

I think there might be 1080p transmition later on, do you think it will be worth to wait ( would it make much difference ) ?

as I mentioned, I would like to watch Turksat (42.0°E) too as well as
Digiturk which is pay. I think Digiturk uses Cryptoworks and I think i can use zeta cam or somthing to put my card in ? :S

lastly how is the non-freesat mode, is it easy to configure for other satellites such as Turksat e.g

btw, I have a standard white dish (not sky) with universal lnb, would that work with Freesat ?

sorry for lots of questions :\

thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
user1001 said:
is the non free sat mode any good ? how does that work ?
The non-Freesat mode makes the box behave like a standard FTA box. You can tune into any satellite for the free channels but will only have Now-and-Next information - not the 7 day information Freesat gives you on Astra 2.

user1001 said:
what is a diseqC stearable dish, and if it is motorised would the reciever actually turn it ??
It is a motorised dish where the motor is special one which can be controlled by a receiver that can issue Diseqc commands. Most small motorised dishes (up to 1.0m - 1.2m) nowadays are Diseqc and the Foxsat in non-Freesat mode can issue Diseqc commands.

user1001 said:
What i mean by upscaling is that using some sort of technology it will upscale e.g 720p chanels so that it shows the channel like its 1080 something like anti aliasing technology if you get what I mean. saying that, did you mean that it will show the HD channels in true 1080 without any sort of technology like I mentioned?
also if it had a technology that will upscale the 720 channels, that'd be great :pcan you elaborate on this bit ?
Upscaling adds extra pixels but I have no idea how efficient it is. A lot of people think that it creates a better picture - me, I'm not so sure. There may be some anti-aliasing at work but that won't add extra detail, just smooth out the jagged lines.

user1001 said:
what is a CI slot?
A CI (Common Interface) slot is where you slide a CAM (Conditional Access Module) in so that you can use a subscription card.

user1001 said:
I think there might be 1080p transmition later on, do you think it will be worth to wait ( would it make much difference ) ?
No, definitely not. I don't know where you've heard that 1080p will be coming along in the near future but there's not much chance in, say, the next 4 years or so.

user1001 said:
as I mentioned, I would like to watch Turksat (42.0°E) too as well as Digiturk which is pay. I think Digiturk uses Cryptoworks and I think i can use zeta cam or somthing to put my card in ? :S
Unfortunately I have no experience of this but others say there is no problem in putting a CAM in. If a Zeta CAM is correct for Cryptoworks then it should be OK.

user1001 said:
lastly how is the non-freesat mode, is it easy to configure for other satellites such as Turksat e.g
Non-Freesat mode is a three or four button press to change over. Once you have the dish pointing at the correct satellite then you then do a scan.

user1001 said:
btw, I have a standard white dish (not sky) with universal lnb, would that work with Freesat ?
Don't see why not. Providing it's large enough for the satellites you want to watch, of course.

user1001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate, pace
2 dishes , 1motor 1 normal
My Location
UK LONDON
Would I get red/blue button options like the freeview to watch something else from the same channel, just like the world cup on bbc now with a technomate 6900 HD..
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technomate-TM-6900-HD-Combo-Super-Plus-USB-PVR-Black-/200359250520?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2ea6578a58

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No you wouldn't, it requires the Freesat software, have a look also at the Technisat Freesat HD receiver.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I know of the 6900 but not much. It may have the EPG and red button for terrestrial TV (Freeview) but it WON'T have them for the satellite as it's not Freesat certified. Others will know better.