Which High End HD/PVR For Freesat?

VideoGuy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
UK
I am researching the purchase of a twin tuner DVB-S2 receiver w/PVR..... although my needs are slightly different to the norm. I want a storage system that permits me to (easily) transfer the recorded media to my PC where I can work on it. I also want an EPG that is 'family friendly' and my reading to date suggests that the EPG employed by Freesat is unique to them and consequently non-Freesat badged receivers will be incompatible with their EPG when it comes to picking programs from the EPG to record.

It occurs to me that a PVR with an external USB HDD will be the simplest method of making the media portable, but what format is it recorded in? Some models have FTP capability through Ethernet but of course these facilities come at a price. The HUMAX PVR seems to get very mediocre reports of HD picture quality and has no means of porting the media outside the box.

With these factors in mind I have considered:

TM 6900 HD
AB Ip Box 9000
TF 7700 HD

So my questions are:

1. Are these receiver's EPG's fully functional and fully compatible with the Freesat data format ?

2. Is there a simpler way of porting media outside the boxes than a portable USB HDD?

3. What recording formats do the boxes above use, and is transcode necessary to get to a useable format.

4. If so, is software available/supplied to do it?

5. Any comments on the picture quality of the above models ?

Many Thanks

Tinkerdog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various PCs
Humax iCord HD reciever
My Location
North Yorkshire
Just to let you know your right to not consider to iCord HD, it only has now and next epg, although it may be able to download an epg through the ethernet port at a future date (crossing my fingers). Its easy to get the recorded files onto a usb drive, the process transfers three files .hmt, .nts and .ts, but no idea how easy these are to work on.

The setup of channels takes a while as they are not ordered so you have to do that yourself and certain channels (such as ITV HD) have to be entered manually which is tricky but doable.

Good luck with your purchase.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
VideoGuy said:
I am researching the purchase of a twin tuner DVB-S2 receiver w/PVR..... although my needs are slightly different to the norm. I want a storage system that permits me to (easily) transfer the recorded media to my PC where I can work on it. I also want an EPG that is 'family friendly' and my reading to date suggests that the EPG employed by Freesat is unique to them and consequently non-Freesat badged receivers will be incompatible with their EPG when it comes to picking programs from the EPG to record.

It occurs to me that a PVR with an external USB HDD will be the simplest method of making the media portable, but what format is it recorded in? Some models have FTP capability through Ethernet but of course these facilities come at a price. The HUMAX PVR seems to get very mediocre reports of HD picture quality and has no means of porting the media outside the box.

With these factors in mind I have considered:

TM 6900 HD
AB Ip Box 9000
TF 7700 HD

So my questions are:

1. Are these receiver's EPG's fully functional and fully compatible with the Freesat data format ?

2. Is there a simpler way of porting media outside the boxes than a portable USB HDD?

3. What recording formats do the boxes above use, and is transcode necessary to get to a useable format.

4. If so, is software available/supplied to do it?

5. Any comments on the picture quality of the above models ?

Many Thanks

The Fortecstar Passion and Innovation HD PVR receiver are, at the time of writing, the only non-Freesat STBs that have a 7-day EPG if updated with the latest software.

Although a budget receiver, picture quality is excellent.

Info can be found at _www.fortecstar.com

Llew

kashim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat+ HDR 320G with 2 LNB pointing to Astra 28.2 and another 1 LNB linked to a cheap technisat receiver in the bedroom and another LNB hooked to SKY+ sat receiver
My Location
Switzerland
That explains it!

I recently purchased iCord HD and cannot find the 7 day EPG information on all the channels that is pointed to Astra 28.2, it only gives now and next. Furthermore, the iCord HD boasts that it can record 4 channels at a time but when I record one it seems to prevent me from seeing majority of the channels let alone record them.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to satellite and would be grateful if anyone could advise me on a satellite setup that will enable us to see all FTA channels in UK from Switzerland and also has 7 day EPG with watching one channel and recording other functions.

I also have a sky+ box, which I haven't yet plugged in to one of the LNB. It has been inactive since May 2010 and was wondering if this box will record programmes without sky subscription as I also have the latest card with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my wife is bored silly at home.

Cheers, Kashim

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Generally speaking if you want to record on an unsubbed sky+ box you have to pay Sky a tenner a month "record tax".

However, sometimes the card misses the "kill recording" signals when a box becomes unsubbed so give it a try.

The easiest solution for you would probably be a nice Freesat PVR - maybe the Humax

kashim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat+ HDR 320G with 2 LNB pointing to Astra 28.2 and another 1 LNB linked to a cheap technisat receiver in the bedroom and another LNB hooked to SKY+ sat receiver
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks Analguesat, but the iCord is indeed a Humax!

I've researched 3 Humax PVR's and was wondering if they all would work in Switzerland?

HUMAX FOXSAT HDR FREESAT SATELLITE PVR (500G:cool:
Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder
Humax PVR9300T 320GB Twin Tuner, PVR

Cheers, Kashim

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Taking the last first, the Humax PVR9300T 320GB Twin Tuner PVR is a terrestrial receiver, not satellite.

HUMAX FOXSAT HDR FREESAT SATELLITE PVR (500G:cool:
Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder

Not sure what the 500GB version is. I am aware of a couple of companies offering enhanced versions of the Foxsat Freesat HDR with 1TB hard discs, perhaps this is another alternative.

The Foxsat Freesat HDR will certainly "work" in Switzerland but it depends what you want to use it for. It is designed work as easily as possible with the British Freesat service and if your satellite dish is large enough for Astra 2D then it will work fine. You can even use it on other satellites in non-Freesat mode if you have a steerable dish or multiple LNBs and a Diseqc switch.

Further thought. Is the 500Gb version the new Mk II version? I don't have any information on this but it was due to be released about now I think.

kashim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback, it was indeed useful.

I found those in UK Amazon site and planning to buy Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder from UK as everything in Swiss is very expensive.

I'm not familiar with Astra2D, is this the one pointing to 28.2? My current dish measures 80cm is this big enough?

I want to use the Humax to watch good old British FTA channels with 7 day EPG and watch and record another channel at the same time. Failing that, I'll have to pay Sky for the recording tax, but I'm not sure if they'll accept subscription from Swiss.

Cheers, Kashim

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hadnt realised the icord was a hummy - I was referring to the Foxsat :D

Can you get +all+ the BBC & ITV channels? If so your dish is big enough.

Sky certainly wont accept any payments from a Swiss address so make sure they dont find out you are abroad. :D

kashim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks Analoguesat,

I can indeed see all the BBC, ITV and channel 4 plus channels including ITV HD, but regrettably cannot see 7 day EPG.

I don't think I will volunterily disclose my overseas information, however I still have 1 year royal mail redirection service setup with my old UK address. Now lets just hope my old sky+ box works when I finally bring this over from UK.

Thank you everyone for your sincere advise, it was greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Kashim