Which Linux box should I buy

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
B sky B package on squarial
My Location
Derbyshire
Hello all, I'm asking a simple question in the hope of getting a simple response.... I had skhy+ (well still do) but want to get rid because it's too expensive and box is buggered. So, which box should I get for hd and the usual benefits of a Linux 'dreambox' or equivalent? Thank you in advance..

A nonymous

Reaction score
Vu+ Solo or Vu+ Duo would be your best bet if your after HD stuff, although please remember linux boxes cannot open stuff up for free. They are not magical boxes, they need access to a subscriber card in order for them to open encrypted channels.

Nano

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
I'd say a Dreambox DM800 is the best bet for a single tuner one, VU+ DUO if you want a dual tuner (record one channel whilst watching another).

Both are 'full-on' linux receivers.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
What about the xtrend Linux receivers both single and twin tuner models have good reviews.

Spend the extra and avoid the clone Linux receivers that are out there.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are expecting to get free Sky forget it and continue on with your Sky subscription - they arent magic boxes which miraculously open all the pay channels.

A nonymous

Reaction score
I already said that :-lmao

The Xtrend boxes are supossed to be very good, although i haven't tried one myself yet, although friends who have then rate them highly.

As for the DM800 i can honestly say buying and using one was the biggest disapointment in my life. Having said that though the DM800 has fantastic support, but i found it very slow and cumbersum compared to the equivilent Vu+ box, it also had a tendency to get extremely hot when recording. I had to shove a cooler under mine to stop it falling over.

Another box a few of my friends keep raving on about is the Gigablue 800HD. They are supossed to be good boxes although i haven't even seen one yet alone used one..

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Vu+ Duo is a good box if you want to set it up then leave it alone and watch programmes.

If you want to do some tinkering and spend hours searching for new channels or feeds avoid it - the Enigma 2 software is absolutely hopeless on it for tinkering. When I find summat better mines going on ebay

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you want something to constantly mess with buy a technomate TM800 :-lmao

They are hopeless aparently lol.

If you want an e2 box running e1 software get an IPBox HD55. Not a bad boxes apart from they can't run CCCam. I set one up for a friend a few weeks back, and i'm impressed with it. A good box for the money.

I had to have a crash course in OScam though to get it to connect to other boxes.

Nano

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
thanks for the replies, without me expressing desire to do stuff which could be deemed illegal i clearly would like to understand the principles and capabilities of the linux units. as i understood it i thought there were ways, not that i'd be doing it, that people HAD been able to set these units up to be able to watch channels they otherwise might not be able to blah blah blah. am i completely being mislead or is there something i'm missing? would be great to know who's telling the truth. thanks again, Karl

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Put it like this. You dont get free sky uk. There is a subscription involved somewhere. If you think you are going to buy a linux box, set it up and immediately get all the sky channels for free you are going to be severely disappointed when you get black screens on half the channels :D

Please be VERY careful what you ask - we get very twitchy about folk asking about how to defraud Sky UK from their legitimate subscription income - dont be offended if a thread that is veering into murky waters gets locked - its nothing personal but we will close anything that gets too close to the edge.

We certainly will never ever suggest anyone goes to a dodgy source to get their Sky - anyone paying a commercial card share companies to get their pay tv is a fool and deserves everything they get when (not if) the company either gets busted or disappears with their money.

You have no idea who is running these companies - it could be the mafia or other organised crime syndicates looking for a quick buck for all you know..

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
thanks for that analoguesat. all points taken on board. so, forgetting getting into the whole aspect of that naughty stuff. if i want a box which gives me oportunities to do interesting stuff with and maybe in the future (come the revolution) tinker in even more interesting ways, which should i plump for. i'm not wanting any info into "how to?" or such like. just advice about which unit to buy. i'm more interested in the single tuner units at the minute so advice on which of those to buy would be greatly appreciated. Ta!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
i'm getting that the whole subject is increadibly involved, such is evident by the length of the thread on the vu + duo. so, hd wish and single tuner wise, would you suggest an all round tinkerable unit with much capability, or should i shelf the high def idea for now and go with an older unit? i'd like something future proof but the extra cost of the dual tuner systems seems silly, i'd rather just get something which works for my needs (once i've mastered-ish as much as i needto to get up and running)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Nothing is future proof in all honesty. Its only going to be a matter of time before the encryption companies pull the plug on the dodgier side for good. If you want something to start with get a TM500 unit, they are cheap and chearful and do the job.

I've seen them brand new for under £60 in some places. If your after something a bit more tinkerable go for a second hand DM7020Si, they can usually be got for under £100.

Nano

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks, so. To put things simply. If I want "tinkerable" recordable HD, ex-sky dish. What should I get. If that means I shouldn't get HD, then fine but why? And what?. Sorry for being so ******* green in these things but I'm happy to do the hard work at a later date, I'm old enough and wise enough for that part of this venture. Just for now, recordable hd (preferably) versatile "tinkerable" box. Which one would YOU have, (knowing what I might want)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Surprised no-one mentioned Vu+ Uno... The fastest box running Enigma2 there is but only has 1 LNB input.. and pricey.

DM800SE clones are quick too, apparently, and stable. And cheaper than the Uno... but does carry a risk of dodgy components and having to search out the correct image for whatever particular clone you have.

There's a new Vu+ Ultimo which is a triple tuner version of the Uno but again... pricey.

A nonymous

Reaction score
By past experience i found the DM800 slow and sluggish. It was the biggest disapointment i've ever had from a Linux box.

Didn't even come close to the Vu+ Duo, But thats just my opinion

Nano

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Much depends on the image in use. EDG Nemesis is dooooog slow for instance, whereas a lean image like OpenPLI is usable.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Well i have a Dm800se and an Ultimo and previously had a Duo and an ET9000 and have set up a few Uno's for friends out of the single tuner bunch there is hardly any difference between the DM800se and the Uno speed wise again dependant on image installed, As for twin tuners the Duo's too long in the tooth now at nearly 3 years old the 9000 wipes all over it with the Ultimo nigh on exactly the same seeing as the Uno,Ultimo and Xtrend 9000,9100,9200 all share the same broadcom 7413 chipset with the Duo running the older 7335.

If i where to plump for a single tuner now i would say The Uno at the moment its probably the best of the single tuner E2 receivers.

Discoseeker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu + solo
My Location
Derbyshire
Thanks for that. With the UNO will there be chance to tinker? I just need the potential to play with it, for example if the law is ever relaxed etc or should I sell it to someone in the future who lives in a country where the laws are different. Anyway. I think the UNO, if I can do this, might be ideal. Can anyone confirm this would suit such needs. Ta!