Which Linux box

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
Hi all,

I've got a protek mk-1 which I really like. I've been doing some reading up and using OSCAM I can now use the protek to view a lot of channels on 28.2E using my legitimate subscription. Eventually I would like to setup a share with my Dad, I've been doing some more reading about CCCAM and think I understand C lines, F lines and all that stuff. The plan is to buy another cheap satellite receiver, A dreambox 500s lokes just like the job, Connect both receivers to my router and try to get them sharing on my internal network, If I can get this working then I will look at getting them talking over the internet.

What I would like is a recommendation of a cheapy box just to test this out and give to my Dad. If I can get it working then I may get something a bit better. The 500s' that I see for sale around the web, are most of them snides? Can my protek talk to a dreambox, there is a CCCAM section in the OSCAM config so I think they can. Can anyone recommend a box??

Thanks a lot,

JS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hello & welcome to the forum. We do not permit any explicit help for defrauding Sky UK from their legitimate subscription revenue. Simply because doing so could get the forum closed down pronto, and the staff asked some very awkward questions by Sky's VERY expensive lawyers.

All the information you require can be found on the forum but you will have to spend a few hours reading multiple threads and assimilating the info available.

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
Analoguesat said:
Hello & welcome to the forum. We do not permit any explicit help for defrauding Sky UK from their legitimate subscription revenue. Simply because doing so could get the forum closed down pronto, and the staff asked some very awkward questions by Sky's VERY expensive lawyers.

All the information you require can be found on the forum but you will have to spend a few hours reading multiple threads and assimilating the info available.

Fair comment. I did read the stickies about CS discussion and did not mention any particular provider on 28E. I've done quite a bit of reading and I am pretty sure I will get this working on a 500S or a technomate tm-500, I just really wanted to check before wasting my dosh.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There are only 2 providers on 28E - and one of them is free :D

Sky UK
Freesat

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
Analoguesat said:
There are only 2 providers on 28E - and one of them is free :D

Sky UK
Freesat

Oops, silly me, Did I say 28E. I meant 13E. :)

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
OK, Decision made. I am going to go for a Technomate TM500 super, It's a great price for a box to have a little tinker with and as a proof of concept. Can anyone recommend a reputable seller please?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

A nonymous

Reaction score
You will get better support with a DM500 even though they are clones. The TM500 Super is a great little box, the only issue is there aren't many teams working on them anymore so its unlikely you will get much in the way of firmware updates.

There are still plenty of teams writing images for the DM500. The only issue with DM500 units are that they are a waste of time if your intending to use it with a motor. If you want to use a motor, go for the TMM500 Super.

Nano

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
Thanks everyone for the help. I have had a look and none of the sponsors seem to sell DM500S'. Does anyone know somewhere semi-reputable where I can get one please?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You wont find them called Dreambox 500s as they are knockoff clones. Look for all sorts of names.

And of course many of the bigger dealers wont touch clones at all. However a couple of the forum advertisers sell them.

javasumatra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek MK1
My Location
London
Hi all,

I am looking to find out where to buy a DM500s (original or clone). I've heard that DM500s go under different names as clones, Does anyone knwo what they are called?
Thanks.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Eaglebox 500s, Envision 500s, Dreambox 518s are to name but a few.

Ebay is your best bet in all honesty :D Just make sure the seller has a reasonably good feedback.

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
javasumatra said:
I've heard that DM500s go under different names as clones,

That would have been me in yesterdays thread :D

Ive merged them to keep everything tidy.