Which Motor?

A

andy321

Regular Member
Messages
36
Likes
0
#1
Hello. I am looking to buy a new dish positioning motor and I have seen a couple on ebay, the Jaeger DG 120 and a manhattan HH140ALU. I am not sure which one to go for and price wise they are about the same. Does anyone have any experience of either or both of these motors? Ive not got a clue if one is better than the other. I would like to use it with a sky star 2 pc card. Any advice apreciated. Thanks
 
S

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Messages
573
Likes
13
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
#2
Moteck sg-2100 was the testwinner in satcritcs test.Actually I read a post in another forum about a guy using a DG 120 and he had a freeplay of one inch(!)
 
O

Old Satellite

Specialist Contributor
Messages
458
Likes
0
#3
I am looking to buy a new dish positioning motor

What dish are you going to install?

how much do you intend to be driving the dish on a daily/ weekly basis etc

regards

Old Satellite
 
D

damhy

Regular Member
Messages
266
Likes
0
My Location
Kent
#4
steffan_st said:
Moteck sg-2100 was the testwinner in satcritcs test.
I read that review: http://www.satcritics.com/hardware.php (Top in the list of editorial reviews: "Diseqc 1.2 Motors") and then I bought one, its working well and after a reasonable amount of time and use with my 85cm dish there is no more play in it than before. But the review is a good starting point for comparison because they go to the extent of dismantling the motors, and letting you know about the wear.

But I think its down to dish size and location mainly, if you live in a very windy location, or have a dish bigger than 1m, you are probably not going to want to use a diseqc motor and would be better getting a specific motor for a specific dish. Its just that the way diseqc motors attach by clamps, which means that they can easily slip out of alignment in strong enough winds. Not happened to me yet thankfully.
 
S

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Messages
573
Likes
13
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
#5
damhy said:
I read that review: http://www.satcritics.com/hardware.php (Top in the list of editorial reviews: "Diseqc 1.2 Motors") and then I bought one, its working well and after a reasonable amount of time and use with my 85cm dish there is no more play in it than before.
I said it was in the DG-120 it was a freeplay of one inch not in the SG-2100.
I've had a SG-2100 for 10 months now and it's performing very good!
 
A

andy321

Regular Member
Messages
36
Likes
0
#6
Thanks everyone for the advice, link and info. The dish I am using (old sat) is slightly oval, 90 in the vertical and 80 horozontaly so I guess its an 85cm. I would expect to move it 3 or 4 times a day.
 
D

damhy

Regular Member
Messages
266
Likes
0
My Location
Kent
#7
steffan_st said:
I said it was in the DG-120 it was a freeplay of one inch not in the SG-2100.
I've had a SG-2100 for 10 months now and it's performing very good!
I was agreeing with you, just I dont think I made myself clear. I have the SG2100 also and I was just trying to say that its true that the cogs in it dont seem to have worn since I bought it. Much like the satcritics review says.
 
D

damhy

Regular Member
Messages
266
Likes
0
My Location
Kent
#8
andy321 said:
Thanks everyone for the advice, link and info. The dish I am using (old sat) is slightly oval, 90 in the vertical and 80 horozontaly so I guess its an 85cm. I would expect to move it 3 or 4 times a day.
I wouldnt expect any problems with it then, as I already said I have an 85cm and mine has been fine since i installed it, and I havent even needed to go outside and make any tiny little adjustments, just makesure that its done up tight. :p
 
BGonaSTICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Messages
5,145
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
#9
The SG2100 is a great value motor IMHO.

Having said that, I would rather they come up with a slightly more expensive version, fitted with some decent bronze gearing/bushings (even if that meant jacking up the ratio a bit more). Mine had a little play in it from new, but it's not got any worse.

STICK
 
S

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Messages
573
Likes
13
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
#10
damhy said:
I wouldnt expect any problems with it then, as I already said I have an 85cm and mine has been fine since i installed it, and I havent even needed to go outside and make any tiny little adjustments, just makesure that its done up tight. :p
I use a 100cm Gibertini alu dish on my SG-2100 so you won't have any problems with your 85cm.
 
Top