Which Sky+ System for Cyprus?? Help needed

1100smartie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Standard
My Location
East Europe
Hi to all,
I have just found this site in my quest for sky+ set up in cyprus. After much reading i am more informed but i will add more confused!! information overload i think.

we are moving to cyprus and are hoping to recieve Sky+ but the question i have is what is the recommended system, would my Sky+HD box work OK or is there a better system i should source? also i see that the LNB is more inportant (LN?) i see that the cable ect need to be quality rather than 'homebase bargin line' I also see that some recieve Sky on a number of different size dishes which is the one i should be looking to buy?

So what i am really searching for is what shold i put on my shoppong list!!!

well sorry if this went on somewhat but this is rather new to me but i am learning as go! And a great site i must say.
many thanks to you all for your help and support

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum 1100smartie

To be honest you will need to be more specific about the exact location you will be living in as being fringe reception location makes a big difference to reception in Cyprus. We have couple of members out there who will be able to advise, however be warned the dish will not be small, and may be better sourced once out there again I am sure members living there will advise.

Turi Hammer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 7020
My Location
Cyprus
I,m located in Cyprus since a few years, there is no problem at all with watching SKY+, just dont cancel your subscription, continue to pay for it and dont ask them for help in case of a reception problem, coz then you will lose your subscription. What you will need is a dish not less then 280cm, i can connect you with people installing the dish. For more info, reply to this message.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, as the others have said, a big dish will be required, no point in taking a UK bought dish over with you, unless it is a high quality 2.8m or bigger. If you want to receive the UK terrestrial channels by satellite, you will need to be looking at a dish up to 4.2m. We have at least three installers based in Cyprus who post here regularly and who I'm sure will advise you further.

kibris

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 jonsa dish, Next YE 2000 reciever
My Location
Cyprus
Hi every one my first post :)
I live in Cyprus, yes make sure you take your Sky box with you and the card, you can get them here but there is a huge mark up. I have a 2.4m motorised system and can get all sky channels, CH4 & ITV, although I do suffer from a little breakup on those channels. No BBC i'm afraid although i can pick the streams up. If you only want Sky then I would go with a 4.2m fixed dish, I like to have a root around the skies to see whats there so I went for a motorised system, purely my chaoice. Where abouts in Cyprus will you be?

1100smartie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Standard
My Location
East Europe
Some great advice from one and all.

Sounds that at least it is do able, just wanted to see if there is anything i should bring out there I will bring box but am sure i cannot fit a 4mtr dish in a suit case!!, and it sound like i should bring out my unused ones!!

Anyway many thanks for the help and will contact installers when i get out there.