Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
aka Puttanesca

Mention was made of the Umami taste sensation in an earlier Thread and this particular Pasta Sauce is suffused with it.

Very easy to make and totally delicious.

Serves two.

One small tin Anchovies in Olive Oil (50/30g)
Two cloves Garlic
One tin Chopped Tomatoes
Tablespoon Capers
Oregano if available.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil and the entire contents (oil included) of the tin of Anchovies (snip the strips into smaller bits using scissors) in a frying pan and wait until the Anchovies have all but dissolved.

Add the peeled and crushed Garlic (and a handful of chopped Oregano if available) and cook for no more than twenty or thirty seconds so that the Garlic does not take colour.

Add the tin of Tomatoes and a small pinch of salt (Anchovies are salty as well as Umami) and cook slowly until the mixture becomes almost jam-like.

Set aside until you are ready to cook your Pasta: Can be made several hours in advance.

Bring the water for the Pasta to a vigorous boil and add 8 oz of whatever you fancy.

At the same time reheat the sauce, adding the Capers for the last few minutes.

When the Pasta is cooked, drain and toss through the sauce.

Serve. Have some bread handy to mop up the remnants of the sauce from both the pan and the serving bowls.

This is a basic but staple Pasta sauce and it is remarkably tasty. Purists would add the flesh of a handful of Black Olives along with the Capers, but SWMBO doesn't like Olives so I always make the Sauce without.

Believe me, you would not think something so simple could be so wondrous.

Guess what we're having for dinner tonight?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds delightful, will give it a try.:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Trust me, you'll love it.

Additional hint is to rinse the preserving vinegar off the Capers in several changes of water if you don't want to overpower the main flavours.