Why are they switching analogue off?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Fair enough, digital is good and all that. Clear picture, more channels. But why are they switching the analogue signal off? :confused

Surely we need the aerial to work to get the digital signal? :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1) much of the capacity used by the analogue signals will be sold off for other purposes - The government has its beady eyes on the oodles of squids that may come their way in the "digital dividend"

2) the bits not sold off are needed for the new improved clearer digital services - which will soon be ruined by mulitiplex owners squashing more and more channels in to make a few more squid from their muxes..

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Saturlight said:
Surely we need the aerial to work to get the digital signal? :D

Now that bit confuses me. :confused

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
rolfw said:
Now that bit confuses me. :confused

If that confuses you, then I know something's not right.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
They're not switching the carriers off, just the analogue signal .
(think that's what you meant).

L.:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I was more confused with what that question meant. ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Seeing as most of the transmitters are being replaced the carriers will be going off as well at some point :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
And we come back to TV through the mains again. ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I think what saturlight meant, is how the heck are we to align our aerials without an analogue signal to go off??? :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The same way we do with digital satellite. :)

With a £2,000 spectrum analyser. :-lmao :-rofl2

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
What I meant, without ANY ANALOGUE signal, how can you get a digital signal.

It's like milking a cow for milk, and you're pulling the farmer's udders instead.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Saturlight said:

It's like milking a cow for milk, and you're pulling the farmer's udders instead.

Whoa, shaky analogy.

Both digital and analogue signals are radio signals and both are transmitted from a big mast , usually on a mountain. Radio waves are collected by the aerial and sent down the coaxial lead where they are then processed by your receiver - be it analogue or digital.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Saturlight said:

With a digital receiver :-doh2

They have a brilliant invention - a menu for finding your muxes :-rofl2

Llew

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Llew said:
With a digital receiver :-doh2
:confused Yes, and...LOL. Are we speaking the same language here? LOL. :D :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah I get it now, it was a hair splitting question. :-deadhorse

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
No it wasn't. It was a genuine question... :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK sorry, but it was beginning to sound that way. :)

The digital signals are modulated onto a carrier wave. Whether the neighbouring analogue channels are there or not, makes no difference to being able to find the digital multiplexes, they are transmitted on their own carrier waves, what is received at the user end is a digital datastream.

As far as I know and I'm not theoretically knowledgable, a carrier wave is neither analogue nor digital until it is modulated. I'd be interested to hear whether that is actually the case. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
It's analogue - that's why I can see the digital muxes on my analogue spectrum analyser display :)

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
As far as I know and I'm not theoretically knowledgable, a carrier wave is neither analogue nor digital until it is modulated. I'd be interested to hear whether that is actually the case. :)

There are suppressed carrier systems in analogue transmissions, requiring a receiver based beat oscillator, and (as far as I got before leaving the learning curve) digital radio communication - spectrum and ultra wide band - as there is no conventional carrier wave.
COFDM will also be a reduced or null carrier system for HDTV if it isnt already.

As to the original question - beats me, though I am under the suspicion that digital TV by its integration with the receiving box (and how it understands the protocol in the signal), is the beginning of regionalising content, what you are not supposed to have, you wont get, regardless of the array you have on the roof.
The government will happily sell to the highest bidder, so your box may be set up only to get content from one provider (not that it would ever happen in this day and age with monopolies commmissions and all that).

Think yourself lucky this country has a multitude of satellite companies all competing for the space that is up there. :eek:

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
why dont they use vertical and horizontal polirisations on the same transmiters . or is this the plan when analouge is turned off.