Why bother with high-end phones anyway?

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
It may be from Japan, but a new survey that shows just how little people use the high-end features on their mobile phones is just as relevant anywhere in the world.
The large study of almost 15,000 people last month shows that the most cutting-edge phone features, such as the RFID osaifu keitai e-cash chip and GPS, are used by fewer than 1 person in 5.
While genuinely ground-breaking services are being ignored, more mundane - and perhaps easier to understand - functions are making inroads. The much-maligned (at least by us) QR Code has, so they say, been tried by 52 per cent of respondents.
Even cameras not universal
Given that familiarity seems to make a technology more acceptable, you'd expect everyone to be into the cameras on their phones. Apparently not - the survey found that almost one person in ten who had a cameraphone had never even tried the function.
Lastly, almost 5 per cent of people admitted trying nothing but plain-vanilla voice calls - an intriguing prospect for any phone maker willing to target the market for super-simple and cheap handsets.

More...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This survey matches my experience, I have had a couple of smart phones and an Ipaq and found that most of the time I only used the basic phone functions.

Have now got a Samsung G800 and use the camera quite a bit for taking pictures of installations etc, but otherwise I just use the phone as a phone. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
As long as I can Call, Text, maybe have a quick blast on the net for something, I'm happy, but even the internet side isn't that necessary, and there's all kinds of things on my phone which I haven't a clue what they do or why they're there, it just seems to be a waste of memory space, which you can't free up as it's hard-coded into the phone!!! :rolleyes:

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I use GPS on mine. Just wish google maps worked offline.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I've got a samsung which has most features from MP3 and radio to 3G but I don't use them much. Silly isn't it. That's on a vodafone contract but my previous Nokia on PAYG O2 seems to get a better signal.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I use mine as a phone :-rofl2

Nothing else, don´t even try to sms, have no speedy thumb :)

But my kids,,,, wow

danfreet55

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
UK
I think you've got to look at it from a professional point of view. There's loads of professions from sales to property development that can benefit from the additional features such as GPS, email on the go - just look at the success of the Blackberry among professionals, and the subsequent addiction!
I've got a HTC Touch Diamond -nice full review here: _http://www.mypocketpcmobile.com/FullReviewHTCTouchDiamond/tabid/247/Default.aspx.
Working in sales means the GPS navigation is the best feature for me and the camera comes in really handy too.

Thanks,
Dan

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Still on a Nokia 5100, well , when it feels like switching on.

holmroad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM6900HD Combo Super Motorized System
HP Laptop+AMD Desktop
My Location
North Lincs
Well I personally feel that by FAR the majority of people use the 'basic' voice & text functions most - with maybe a 'touch' of internet accessing when out & about, but unfortunately it CAN cost you!
The remainder are predominantly merely gimmicks - again thats in MY opinion!:-rofl2

danfreet55

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky TV
My Location
UK
This surprises me actually. All of my peers have at least a cameraphone and many have smartphones.

I'm all set with my HTC Touch Diamond, which does everything I need it to do _http://www.mypocketpcmobile.com/FullReviewHTCTouchDiamond/tabid/247/Default.aspx

The GPS system is surprisingly useful in many situations and email is what I use it for most of all.
Dan

G

I have an ancient Philips C12 and use it for voice only. Don't even use SMS.

The Batteries are pre-historic in composition, but I put a new pack in every couple of years. 99p I think the last pack cost!

Oh, and I had to fit a new SIM as the original one outlasted the ability of 02 to communicate with it ................. O-zzz

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
I like the way they sell new phones, telling you how great they are and once you've bought it.... they tell you it's already out of date and what a #*& you'll look if you don't sling it and buy another one......

If a phone is really well designed though you can't beat having a camera, video & audio recorder, mp3 player, doc reader, internet access and store stb s/w upgrades/ channel lists, strong signal lists.. etc. etc... all on a phone.

mad_elf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony Bravia 40 inches model KLV-40V400A full HD, Samsung Digital Home Cinema System model HT-Z315, Dreambox HD 800, Nilesat, Hotbird, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, Aztech ADSL2+ Wireless router 1Mbps
My Location
Dubai, UAE
Its true. However, as it is mentioned the survey is done in Japan. If you look at the figures and the sites that cause most of the traffic globally you will notice that these sites are kind of socializing sites i.e. youtube and facebook. Most people use laptops now a day but will switch to mobiles as it become cheaper and more convenient, seems not far though.