Why do some SATELLITE RECIEVERS have ethernet ports?

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 with DiSeq 1.2 motor, HDrive 100gigs, dvd recorder, 5.1 goodmans surround sound, xbox360 wifi live,goodmans GD3
My Location
Edinburgh
sorry as im a novice with satellite issues, but have seen some boxes, such as the dreambox which have ethernet ports at the back, can some1 please tell me what these are for? obviosuly they will connect it to a network but what is its actual function for the reciever?

many thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It allows you to connect the receiver to your PC and/ or the internet for software upgrades etc.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
and even better :cool: U could get new keys that way

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Don't forget the streaming of what's received to the PC('s) hard drive... :D

JAMBOliam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65 with DiSeq 1.2 motor, HDrive 100gigs, dvd recorder, 5.1 goodmans surround sound, xbox360 wifi live,goodmans GD3
My Location
Edinburgh
Do i need special software to stream things from my hardrive to it? or to update it?

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=77896

I saw the above thread but i could n't answer (it was locked). Some receivers (mostly for professional use, not consumer) are equipped with some ports: RS-232, RS422, ethernet, parallel.

These ports are used for data transmission and remote control. According to the DVB standards, a digital satellite service is able to carry not only video and audio but also data components. If the receiver is tuned to a service then the video component is driven to video output, the audio component is driven to audio output and the data are driven to a comm port (serial, ethernet, etc).

This is useful to broadcasters. An IRD can be used on the top of a mountain to feed the terrestrial transmitter (UHF/VHF) with input signal. These ports are useful for remote control of the IRD itshelf or any other equipment.

A professional receiver can be controlled by a computer through a comm port.

The consumer IRDs may have a serial/ethernet port for testing/troubleshooting. In these cases, the communication is proprietary and (usually) on info can be found.

slugworth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gsky v7
My Location
New England
Cardsharing/keysharing.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
- you can download updates, tools, plugins, key files & epg data staight from the internet
- you can use your pc to install new software, program timers, or modify your station lists
- you can stream the signal to your pc & watch tv there, or record it onto your disk
- you can transfer files between your pc and the receiver, you can download recorded movies & burn them on a DVD
- you can watch webcams worldwide
and much more .....

dago

Reaction score
and the most important part, you can flash the image with a null cable.

regards.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Null modem cable connects to the RS232 (serial) port not the ethernet port.