rellstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110cm dish
Inverto Universal Quad LNB
Pace 2600 C1 and DS430N Digiboxes
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Sorry if this is really a stupid question but why exactly does heavy rain and snow affect the signal from a satellite. Is it the actual cloud blocking the signal or is it rain on the dish / LNB making is harder to process the signal.
:confused

UPDATE: Sorry, should have done a search first. I have my answer from another thread.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
it is mostly the rain and snow on the dish which change the surface and perfomance of the dish.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I disagree. It is mostly the water vapour and water particles (rain) in the atmosphere which absorb the signal. It is a similar effect to that of a microwave oven. The radio waves are absorbed by water molecules and raise its energy state (temperature).

You'd be hard pressed to to measure the temperature rise from a satellite (hundreds of watts over thousands of miles) compared to a microwave oven (kilowatts over inches) but it's there.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
This explains it:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/Noise.html
In the text is the fact that rain fade is greater the lower the angle of the satellite in the sky, so Sweden it will be worse than in Spain for Astra 2.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
how can u diagree if theres snow on the dish and its not snowing .it can only be snow on the dish the same 4 rain .or are u saying snow and rain on dishes has no effect on the dishes perfomance .i think it could be one or the other or a combination of the two.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Water & water vapour is an excellent absorber for the microwave frequencies radiated by the satellites (around 12GHz) Hence a thundercloud heavily laden with rain but out to your south east can interrupt the signals even if its not actually raining at your own location.

Snow on the dish is just frozen water so it will absorb signals bouncing off the dish.

Remember the satellites are not transmitting high power signals. The signals radiated from the birds have the effective power of a lightbulb, so it doesnt take much to knock out the signal

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
moosegoose said:
are u saying snow and rain on dishes has no effect on the dishes perfomance.
No, what I said is that it's mostly the water in the atmosphere that causes the loss.

Obviously if you have some snow on the dish it will affect the signal but it will be miniscule. Snow covering the LNB feedhorn will actually have more of an effect as the signal will have been concentrated in this area but LNBs usually have their face nearly vertical so snow doesn't stick for very long.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
ok paul thanks i never stop learning