Why such large back lash on STAB motors?

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Why does STAB motor have such a large back lash compared to other Diseqc motors like Moteck for an example?

Is there any way to tighten the STAB motor like the Moteck?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's the main reason why I won't use the Stab, not sure if there's a method of tweaking it.

Telia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
STAB recommends their H120 for Gibertini OP120, it would wobble like crazy with such a large dish, i don't really understand how they are thinking.

I tried to open mine but have not found any way to tighten it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The last one I installed was carrying a 1.25m Gilbertini and the backlash was unacceptable, that is a very heavy dish.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I've had my hh90 apart and the reason why there is backlash is because there is no means of adjustment. I don't remember it being too bad when new, but after a fair bit of use with dishes on it (that were far too heavy and big), there is more wobble than a plate of jelly, presumably caused by wear.

The large cog is also sprung, in order to reduce backlash, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Telia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes i noticed that the quality tolerance between the cogs aren't that good, a bit of gap there.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
For an OP120, get yourself a polar mount & linear actuator. Far sturdier than a Stab HH and without the backlash.

Telia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I borrowed a STAB HH100 from my dealer and what a joke it is, it's wobbling like crazy and this motor was brand new and cost twice as much as the Dark Motor or even Moteck.

How come they sell these motors? i can't imagine anyone using these motors seriously?

Anyone contacted STAB about this? they can't clearly continue selling it when they wobble like this.