why wont my freesat work?

khagues

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
we have freeview anda laptop. want freesat
My Location
hull
i bought a brand new freesat box, the correct cable, a new quad LNB and some 'f' connectorsand rigged it all up according to the manual to the sky dish that was here when we moved in. the disk is south facing and at all the right angles, the cable is the sky cable that the aerial shop told me was the correct one, and after all that the freesat box is not picking up even a single percentage of signal.it says no signal found. WHAT AM I TO DO PLEASE?!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Could well be a cable connection or dish alignment problem. See if you can test your freesat receiver on another dish to see :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Most likely dish alignment I would have thought, as there is no way you know that you have it right until you actually get a signal on it.

khagues

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hull
thank you so much for your help. just a couple more questions if you dont mind.is there any chance my box may be faulty even though brand new from argos? also does it automatically update the screen when searching for a signal or do i need to keep turning the box on and off?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Unlikely that the box is at fault. The freesat receiver should indicate on the first screen if there is a signal or not. I'd check the receiver on another dish first :)

khagues

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hull
i know im repeating myself but we bought the brand new quad LNB today and we have allined our dish in occardance with every rule, and then jiggled it around a bit just in case we are slightly off. no matter what we do our box registers no signal what so ever. so i guess your saying the only way to work out if its the box otr the way the dish/connections are is to check with someone who we know is getting siganl from their dish?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It is a process of elimination I'm afraid. Although it is unlikely that the receiver is faulty, it is possible. A quick check on a known good working dish would eliminate the possibility of it being faulty.

What also might help, is a satellite meter of some sort.

Your method for setting up the dish also is not a sound way of doing it.

You don't align a dish using rules and figures, and then jiggle it around and hope for the best, though it works sometimes if you are lucky.:-rofl2

The method I use, which has never failed me yet, is to set the dish face so it is roughly vertical, and then slowly swing the dish round trying for a signal. If I don't get one, I adjust the elevation a bit, and try again until I do. Sometimes I hit the wrong satellite at first, but it doesn't matter, once you have found one it is easy to find the rest.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Robbo said:
once you have found one it is easy to find the rest.

Assuming you know they are all on the Clarke curve
Have a look at Robbo's diagram

Attachments

• satellitesarc.png
    satellitesarc.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 68

khagues

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
hull
thanks for everone's help. WE HAVE IT WORKING NOW! YEY! we ended up getting a signal finder to help us and the dish was not recieving signal from that wall, so we moved onto a different wall and all iswell. thanks again for your help

kim57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm zone 2 mini dish quad lnb
My Location
devon
Sorted my dish aligment with the wife would you believe!!