Why would a floppy A drive say all my disks are write-protected?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
This isn't the pc I had to replace the hard-drive with, this is the other one!

I'd had no problems with it until I got a floppy disk stuck in the drive, half was in, and half was out. I yanked it a bit, not too hard, the disk came out, but the silver bit on the end, was still inside.

I managed to get it out, with tweesers, but since then the A drive reads information on discs, but it will not eraze disks nor will it save, as it keeps saying write protected disk. But it can't be because all the disks are either ones I've used before or are brand new.

Plus, all these floppy disks work in my other pc. Could it be that I damaged something internally by getting out the silver thing?

Thanks. ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Sounds like you could have damaged the read/write head or the protection switch (what the little black tab presses to allow writing to the disks), you may aswell get a new one, they're ten a penny these days...

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Thanks, mate, you're always a great help to me. I appreciate your replies. Have a nice weekend, mate. ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Saturlight said:
Thanks, mate, you're always a great help to me. I appreciate your replies. Have a nice weekend, mate. ;)

Not a problem, and I'm sure I will, birthday dinner on sunday... :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Your birthday, I trust :) Happy birthday, if it is. ;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
floppies write protect works as follows:

To write protect, the small tab on disk must slide back to show hole. Then, an led shines through the hole onto an opto sensor.

To write enable, the hole must be blocked, either by sliding the tab, or else you can cover up the hole some other was (maybe, a sticky paper label).

Very famously, this is actually the wrong way round! (Thinking about it, if the led goes, you'd want the drive to "failsafe" so you can't write on the disk!).

I don't see how something stuck in the drive could cause this fault, unless it's shiny and in exacly the right position to reflect light onto the sensor!

A 2 cv says, it's cheap and easy enough to replace!

see: www.computerhope.com/help/floppy.htm .

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Saturlight said:
Your birthday, I trust :) Happy birthday, if it is. ;)

Ont the 8th of august it is... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
spiney said:
floppies write protect works as follows:

To write protect, the small tab on disk must slide back to show hole. Then, an led shines through the hole onto an opto sensor.

To write enable, the hole must be blocked, either by sliding the tab, or else you can cover up the hole some other was (maybe, a sticky paper label).

Very famously, this is actually the wrong way round! (Thinking about it, if the led goes, you'd want the drive to "failsafe" so you can't write on the disk!).

I don't see how something stuck in the drive could cause this fault, unless it's shiny and in exacly the right position to reflect light onto the sensor!

Erm, I don't know how different each manufacturer's drives are, but the floppy drives I've taken apard have a switch that is either depressed by the tab (write enabled) or goes through the hole (write disabled), I've not seen anything as advanced as an optical sensor inside a floppy disk drive, maybe an LS120, but not a bog standard one... :confused

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yea, all the floppy drives I've seen (not all that many) have had a little bit of plastic and a spring that forms part of a switch, when the hole on the disc is blocked the plastic is pushed down, when open the plastic is up.

This is also the right way round for the switch failing, should the spring wear out or the plastic in some way detach itself then the drive will permanently think the disc in it is write protected (which is better than thinking it's write enabled which could lead to loss of data), but I don't know if this extra bit of security is intentional or just chance...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PoloMint said:
but I don't know if this extra bit of security is intentional or just chance...

I'd hazard a guess at it being intentional to prevent, as you say, data loss if the drive is faulty, better safe than sorry... :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Whatever it is, I've just bought a new one. Couldn't be :-shhrsed to keep guessing what the problem was... ;)

Thanks anyway...nice debate...

Thanks again, and happy birthday on the 8th. :) I wish I was 21...oh, I can wait!! ;)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Sorry! I last pulled a floppy drive apart several years ago, and it was a led, but I suppose a switch is cheaper.

However, it’s still the wrong way round!

“Failsafe” means that, for the default condition, nothing happens! Then, in order to activate a (possibly dangerous) process, you have to do something.

On a floppy, this would only apply if the hole were CLOSED for write protect (nothing happens), rather than open (a mechanical switch has to move).

Compare with VHS video, where if nothing happens then the cassette is write protected, but a switch must move to write-enable.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surely if it was an LED there'd be some circtuitry to tell the drive that the LED is visible to the sensor or not, so with the LED setup if the LED or sensor fails, your drive ends up being stuck in Write Enable mode (not good!!!), so that's probably why most drives use a switch now...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Using led, write protect should be either:

hole blocked (intentional).

or

led or opto sensor failed (fault, failsafe condition).

That's why it's the wrong way round!

Note that floppy index sector detect uses an led shining through a hole, you couldn't possibly use a mechanical switch for that.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
spiney said:
Using led, write protect should be either:

hole blocked (intentional).

or

led or opto sensor failed (fault, failsafe condition).

That's why it's the wrong way round!

Note that floppy index sector detect uses an led shining through a hole, you couldn't possibly use a mechanical switch for that.

Buuut the industry standard on floppy disks is that Hole Closed = Write Enable, That's why all floppy disk labels are the same stating the standards...

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes, agreed, and it's been the industry standard since the original 8 inch floppies. But, it's still the wrong way round!

(if the little write protect tab is absent, then the standard is "failsafe" for that contingency, but as you can quite easily see this, I still don't understand the reasoning behind doing it this way round!).

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
spiney said:
Yes, agreed, and it's been the industry standard since the original 8 inch floppies. But, it's still the wrong way round!

(if the little write protect tab is absent, then the standard is "failsafe" for that contingency, but as you can quite easily see this, I still don't understand the reasoning behind doing it this way round!).

8 inches??? :eek:

I'm gobsmacked by the 5 1/4" ones I have at home!!! :-ohmy

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yes. 8 inches was the original size. I remember them still being around in 1980s, not sure about now!

See history, in Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk

Can't remember them on any microcomputers, the Pets and Apple2s I used had 5 inch floppies.

(just looked on Google, some 5 inches still on sale, but no 8 inches anywhere!).

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
spiney said:
(just looked on Google, some 5 inches still on sale, but no 8 inches anywhere!).

Fisrts result I got on google and I found this site:

_http://www.cadigital.com/flopdriv.htm

8" is first in the list!!! :D

I still need a 5 1/4" drive though, but not at them prices!!!

Anyway, I just spotted this site, it's hilarious!!!! :-rofl2

_http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_floppies.shtml

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
256Kb 8" drives were serious bits of kit once, I used to hold them in awe when they first appeared. O-Ha

L.:)