Will a dual LNB solve my problem?

patmartin008

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minisdish and Technomate 1500 receiver.
My Location
London, England.
I have just moved house and inherited a Sky dish installed at the back of the house.

In my last place I also had a Sky dish which I connected to a Technomate receiver. I manually moved the dish to 19.2 so that I could pick up FTA Spanish channels.

My question now is whether I can have both Astra 19.2 and and 28.2 using a dual LNB on a standard Sky minidish? I'd prefer not to buy a motorized dish if a dual LNB would do the job.

Thanks for any info.

Patrick

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It should work - both sets of satellites are very high power these days. You will of ourse have to engineer a dual holder system.

Go for it - you have nothing to lose apart from a couple of hours of your time.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
When we did it we got 13e as being the closest ...that is 28e & 13e (and actually 5w also)- about 15 degrees being the closest on a z1 with the smaller 'round' Sky lnbs.. not the frog like ones..... and a possibly max of 40 degrees.. hmm.

you could always get the hacksaw and glue gun out and get them closer... (avoid metal getting in the feed horn if you do it)

Attachments

• DSCI0176- 28e 13e 5w on Sky dish-aa.jpg
    DSCI0176- 28e 13e 5w on Sky dish-aa.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 47

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
In simple terms, 19e & 28e is not achievable on a Zone 1 dish.

13e and 28e can be achieved but not really to an acceptable signal level taking CNR/MER into account.

Better to upgrade to a 60cm dish and multi-bracket.

patmartin008

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minisdish and Technomate 1500 receiver.
My Location
London, England.
Thanks for all the advice. Will look into these options further and take it from there.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
pedro2000uk said:
When we did it we got 13e as being the closest ...that is 28e & 13e (and actually 5w also)- about 15 degrees being the closest on a z1 with the smaller 'round' Sky lnbs.. not the frog like ones..... and a possibly max of 40 degrees.. hmm.

you could always get the hacksaw and glue gun out and get them closer... (avoid metal getting in the feed horn if you do it)

Hi PEDRO2000uk, how would all these lnb,s be conected to the receiver??:confused

regards Dave

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
4dbennett said:
Hi PEDRO2000uk, how would all these lnb,s be conected to the receiver??:confused

regards Dave

You usually use diseqc 1 & 1.1 switches ... 2 way, 4way are very common and quite cheap, you can have more (8, 16) and cascade them (not something we do). You lose some signal though so only really recommended for good signals or you can compensate the loss by using a larger dish. They are ideal for strong satellites like 28e 19e 13e etc.. You can use a manual switch that doesn't have significant signal loss, perhaps to switch from the diseqc switch to a dish on a weak satellite. We had that setup on a 4 way ..

BTW... We only set it up for a laugh with a box of spare singles from + upgrades and were surprised how well it worked. I confess we did it that quick that we didn't put a meter on it or test the weakest tps ...but I think that the oval shape of the Sky dish probably helped it- that's a 33.3 degree split and probably a maximum of 40 degrees on a 45cm.

dago

Reaction score
@pedro, well done m8; that's quite a set up.
regards.:-rofl2