Will a sky installer install a motorised dish?

blackninja

Reaction score
Having to move fairly soon to the dark side (Gtr Manchester O-no) with work commitments

On the bright side I can finally move away from the communal dish to a proper dish with a quad LNB for my Sky Plus.

I was planning to set up a motorised 80cm dish, for use with my Sky Plus and my other receiver, but I'm a bit dubious about doing this myself.

If I provided the motor, with possibly the dish/LNB, and told Sky I was moving house, would they do this for me? If so, how much would it set me back?

Ta

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No chance whatsoever of sky installing it for you..

Give a local independant installer a ring and they will sort it out.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree, plus keep your Sky dish separate from the motorised system.

You could of course have a go at installing it yourself, it is not beyond most members who try. :)

blackninja

Reaction score
rolfw said:
I agree, plus keep your Sky dish separate from the motorised system.

:)

Thanks

So you would recommend not using the motorised system for my Sky Plus box, even with a quad LNB (having directed the dish to 28 East using the other receiver)?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your Sky receiver needs to be permanently connected to Astra 28.2 for smooth operation and over the air updates, best to have it on a separate dish. Then you can also record something on Sky and watch something on another satellite at the same time. :)

blackninja

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Your Sky receiver needs to be permanently connected to Astra 28.2 for smooth operation and over the air updates, best to have it on a separate dish. Then you can also record something on Sky and watch something on another satellite at the same time. :)

Thanks again

Can I get a bracket for 28, 19 and 13 East? Seen ones for 19 and 13. I'm trying to keep the whole thing as minimal as possible, so passers by don't think I'm watching anything dodgy!

Ta

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

blackninja

Reaction score
Thanks -this is really helpful.

So would a sky installer provide the 80cm dish and quad lnb (could then add the bracket myself) or do they only provide Zone 1 and 2 dishes? What would the charge be?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Forget Sky for the installation, they only do bog standard, get it well installed by an independent.

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
blackninja said:
Thanks again

Can I get a bracket for 28, 19 and 13 East? Seen ones for 19 and 13. I'm trying to keep the whole thing as minimal as possible, so passers by don't think I'm watching anything dodgy!

Ta

Blackninja, how dare you suggest that anyone would watch dodgy material,:-Nooo:-Nooo:-Nooo:-Nooo

HEH! HEH! HEH!

dave

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
I agree get rid of sky and get a shop to install everything..

As for moving to manchester... good luck its an absolute s**thole ... god how much i hate city living....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
This made me giggle, sky installing a motorised dish!!! Some sky installers can barely install a minidish without problems!!! :D

Anyway, hope you get a good deal on a proper motorised system, someday I'll have one myself... :D

As for Gtr. Mancs, tuck your trousers into your socks, keep your wallet on a chain and don't use a mobile in public, oh and good luck!!! :D

blackninja

Reaction score
2cvbloke said:
As for Gtr. Mancs, tuck your trousers into your socks, keep your wallet on a chain and don't use a mobile in public, oh and good luck!!! :D

Don't worry - I'm from Merseyside so I'm well versed in that!;)

Thinking bout Sale or Prestwich because I think I need the quiet life now. I'll only venture in to Manc with bodyguards in tow! Then again I'm very good at suppressing the scouse twang. Top banana, hacienda!

Thanks for the advice.

blackninja

Reaction score
Hi. Just an update on this.

I'm moving to Sale pretty soon (well Ashton on Mersey to be exact - at least that will remind me of home!) and I'm going to order a Raven 70cm mesh dish and multiclamp - found them for about £53 including postage: is that good?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any cheap but reliable installers in the area. How much would I expect to pay for the whole installation?

Ta

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That should get you 28.2E, 19.2E and 13E, would prefer the 90cm myself, but that should be fine. :)

Not sure what they charge up there for installations, probably a little less than down South, put a post in the Installers wanted section. :)