Will I have to move my dish to motorize it?

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
45w-52e 80cm VU+ Duo2 (DVB-S/DVB-T)
My Location
Northern Ireland
Hello all, first post here so I excuse if some find this a stupid question :-doh! .
At the minute I have 2 dishes up outside my house (sky & then a 80cm dish for astra/hotbird (dual lnb)). They are both beside each other at present as you can see from the pic below, incase i am not explaining this very well. -

[URL="http://www.pikapasta.com.au/users/sg/dish-small.jpg"][URL="http://www.pikapasta.com.au/users/sg/dish-small.jpg"][URL="http://www.pikapasta.com.au/users/sg/dish-small.jpg"][URL="http://www.pikapasta.com.au/users/sg/dish-small.jpg"] [/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Now, there is also a garage to the right of the picture (left of the dishes) (14ft or so ahead of the house), but it is just slightly higher than the height the dishes are mounted onto the wall of the house at. I also have a clear view to the left/right of the image apart from the garage of course (i hope i have my bearings correct!).

I would prefer to have as large a range of satellites as possible if I did motorise the dish, but I have a feeling i'll have to move the dish so i would appreciate a second opinion on it since im quite new to all this. Sorry about the poorly worded title too, it sounds quite stupid lol

Thanks.

Steven.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Welcome sg, If the garage is only slightly higher than the dish it shouldn't be a problem.

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Thanks for your reply.

I have another thing i'd like cleared up if you dont mind.
After viewing a picture of the clark belt & satellites, I was thinking that the satellite furthest west i could recieve with the dish in its current position was possibly 1west?. Unless i remounted the dish on the edge of the house wall to allow me to see further 'west', unless im mistaken and have my bearings all wrong :p ?.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Remember that when you add the motor the dish will be out further from the wall.

This will allow it to turn more.

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Yup.

What I really would like would be to be able to shift from ~30e to ~30west, but the further each way the better. Would this be possible if I mounted the dish further from the wall than the sky dish?.

Here is a side view if it is any help :s -

Sorry about all the questions but i want to be 100% sure before I spend any money/do anything. :-ohmy

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Ah. Thanks for your help. So if i mount the dish a bit further out from the wall I should be grand.
I was mainly after the feeds on 12.5w so thats good enough!.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Looks like something might have to give to get 30W.

Maybe you could drop the Sky dish underneath the other, or it's going to block it's line of sight?

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Overall, id rather leave the sky dish where its at, since if i mess something up ill have to listen to everyone else in the house complain 'O'-red . It wouldnt be a problem to move the white dish to the near edge of the wall (in the pic), this would give it a clear view from east to west.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It needs to go to the left and higher.

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Thanks rolfw.
Would it still work even if I constructed my own mount, or bought one so i could have it on the actual corner of the wall. Something like this -

Or would it be better to have it the way you have mentioned in your post?.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The corner would be OK or even on the flank wall, but close to the corner with a standoff bracket.

PS. You can actually upload your pictures as an attachement, then they will be presented as a thumbnail and will always be available, despite what happens with the image host.

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Ah thats great, thanks. Thats cleared alot up for me :).

Which motor would you reccomend by the way?.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
For an 80cm dish, the Moteck SG-2100 would be a good buy. :)

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Cheers.
Once I have the motor and the standoff bracket for the dish, that would be all the new equipment i'd require then, yeah?.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Good stuff!. Thanks very much for your help.

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
One final question then thats me all done for tonight, :D.

I was looking at the motors or some websites, and I see things called 'actulators' aswell grouped in along with them. Do i need one of these too?, or are they optional?.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
They are an alternate method, used with a polar mount. Like a piston arrangement, but requires the pivot point too. Need 36V to drive them, so more cables, and more money too.

Moteck is the way to go for your smallish dish.

I assume that you have a DiSEqC 1.2 enabled receiver, or a plugin for your Skystar1?

sg_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern Ireland
Ah, thanks.

Yeah, i have a reciever too but I dont have it wired up at the minute because I dont have enough sockets in the wall.