Will It cost If I recieve channels from America?

Luis Topf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HDTV. International Satellite.
My Location
Manchester
I'm considering buying a satelitte but I'm not sure if there is a cost in recieving/ viewing the channels I get. I have sky at the moment, but I wanted more channels from around the world I just don't want to run up some sort of bill!!! Help :-wave

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Moved from "Classified" to a more relevant sub-forum.

Assume you meant Satellite dish (and reception equipment), not Satellite (many of us can't afford that!) you will not be able to install a system in the UK to get mainstream US Channels - nor indeed in Germany, where your IP address resolves to.

There are, however, many strong Satellites you can get Channels from in Western Europe - with some variation depending upon where we finally establish your location actually is) carrying stuff from all European and a few Asian Countries.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
For the biggest choice of countries you want a system pointing at Hotbird 13E - even with the free stuff there is some fascinating stuff on there. (Everything from Kazakhstan to Vietnam via Myanmar.

Not a huge amount available in English - there are a few news channels which transmit at least partially in English though.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh and the only yank channels available are for the Iranians so unless you speak Farsi they will be of limited interest!

None of the mainstream entertainment stuff is possible via satellite here in Europe.

If you have LOTS of money you could get American TV via broadband but it tends not to be cheap.