Will 'upgrading' my dish screw up my current installation?

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
Hi guys,

I've just got a question now, which I'll need to consider before I 'upgrade' the dish from 78 to 110cm.

Currently my dish is operating via diseqc motor, but I manually adjust the elevation level as I don't use USALS, I just manually get it done. To get back to where I once found the satellites I usually just write it on the setup with a waterproof marker. My dish is adjusted to it on 29.5, at least, that little gap is set to 29.5 on the dish.

If I decide to get that 110cm dish (which I figure I'll have to for the sake of the EBU feeds), does it mean my whole setup with the waterproof marker will be useless, despite putting it on the same 29.5? Or will it not matter, and just do its job like it does now?

Thanks in advance :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, it'll be a new installation. Not sure what you mean by manually adjusting the elevation. If set up correctly the dish shouldn't need adjusting.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
satelliteman said:
Yes, it'll be a new installation. Not sure what you mean by manually adjusting the elevation. If set up correctly the dish shouldn't need adjusting.

Yep. This was also pointed out in his other recent Thread http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/fringe-reception-general/189875-atlantic-bird-3-a.html

Like you, I'm baffled as to why the elevation needs adjusting! Using USALS or not is irrelevant as the locus of the motor stub adjusts elevation and skew as it pans the arc.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding here ...................

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
I always have to go to the dish to adjust the elevation, not sure if that's just how it should be... the more that I read it seems to be going automatically for some people, it just doesn't here :( So, that means, if I keep everything as it is, but replace the dish with a bigger one, the positions I have now would not work anymore?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, I had a look back at at the other thread and in post #8 the OP writes 'that one's on 29.5 elevation and I have that marked onto the motor'. Is it possible he's confusing dish elevation and the the elevation scale on the motor? If he's altering the motor elevation to the differing elevation quotes, it's little wonder that the dish is never on the arc!

@GJ89 : Please check that your motor is set correctly for your latitude. If it is do not alter it, drive your dish to your due South sat and peak up the dish elevation for best signal.

A couple of photos of the dish and motor with a close up of your motor settings would benefit our diagnosis.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No you should never ever have to adjust dish elevation once you correctly fixed a point on the arc (Generally starting with your South Satellite).

The whole point of a DiSEqC motor is that, once correctly installed, the only input required is a call for Azimuth - the shape of the motor stub is designed to follow a locus which automatically ensure the elevation and skew relating to any selected Satellite position are automatically correct. It cannot be otherwise.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Pete, just seen your reply: Yes, you may be correct: The elevation scale on the motor should be IGNORED and only the Latitude scale used - set directly according to one's latitude, of course.

Once correctly set, and with the South Satellite selected, final alignment of Azimuth is by rotating the motor/dish as one around the mount and elevation is adjusted using the dish bracket alone.

I agree that this is probably where the fundamental error lies.

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
So I should set the latitude scale to my location, then get it to my south arc...

...thing is, if I move my motor then, without USALS, the elevation does not change whatsoever...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Of course it does - it cannot do otherwise.

As you pan from South (going either East or West), the effective elevation will decrease and the skew will alter - look at it from the front as it moves and you will see it "tipping over".

It's a fixed mechanical stub and cannot do anything unexpected as it is rigid!!!

Believe and trust what we are telling you.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Your due South satellite will be 5°e.

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
I believe what you are saying...

Okay, so... what is the thing I should do?

Set the latitude scale for about 50, for my location.
Then I should put the elevation on the dish to my southern arc I assume? That would be 29.5.
With that set, I should put the azimuth on the satellite that is situated on that arc, correct?

If that's all set, and I move the dish, it should automatically adjust to any movement it makes?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Best to read the Guides linked to on your other Thread.

Forget what you thought you knew, take a deep breath, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Your motor leaflet also has the information in a straightforward format.

Edit: satelliteman will be re-posting these links in one minute ...................

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
GJ89 said:

Then I should put the elevation on the dish to my southern arc I assume? That would be 29.5.
With that set, I should put the azimuth on the satellite that is situated on that arc, correct?

If that's all set, and I move the dish, it should automatically adjust to any movement it makes?

Yes, might be worth browsing through the motor dish set up guides >

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...rised-dish-installation-downloadable-pdf.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...rence-motor-installation-setup-guide-pdf.html

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
GJ89 said:
I believe what you are saying...

Actually, checking on Dishpointer I'd set it to 53°. It's not going to make a huge difference other than to further ends of the arc, but it's better to get it right, yes??

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
i don't know what type of motor you have?
it should be the one for a satellite system.
once installed properly the elevation will correct as it swings through the arc.
if you have to change the elevation as you move the dish with a motor then it is.
probably a tenna rotor that is used for a tv antenna north south east and west.
a proper satellite antenna motor when installed will correct the elevation and scew of the lnb as it moves.
ralph

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
I mean I'm sorry for being absolutely clueless... this stuff just remains daunting to me most of the time...

I've just gotten through the manuals and I finally think I understand. However, dishpointer tells me the dish elevation should be at 22, and the latitude scale should be at 53. That's correct? If so I'll adjust it once I come home.

Btw my motor is SG-2100

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Don't rely too much on the dish elevation scale, most markings are inaccurate. Set the dish face just facing up a tad from vertical as a starting point.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And don't worry about being "clueless" ......... we are here to help and once you cracked it you'll wonder what the problem was. We all started somewhere.

GJ89

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
Thanks :) I just feel like a dweeb not knowing what to do about it...

So, I went outside to try the dishpointer advice which did not work whatsoever. I have been on selected latitude for ages to get Astra 4A, but on 29.5 dish elevation, not 22.

I figure it's to do with the fact my motor is not on 0 when I am on Astra 4A but on 37.5W

I figure I should get it to 22 dish elevation, and try and get Astra 4A on 0 right? I could move the dish, I just can't move the motor. If I were to move the motor, it'd be on the most unpractical degree.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
GJ89 said:
I've just got a question now, which I'll need to consider before I 'upgrade' the dish from 78 to 110cm.

If I decide to get that 110cm dish (which I figure I'll have to for the sake of the EBU feeds),

Most EBU feeds are secure scrambled so dont bank on getting them.