Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, good to know Microsoft still don't test stuff properly before release.

Got a hulking great, out of cycle, Cumulative Update to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition just now.

Presumably putting gates on the barn doors left open upon release.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
......and meanwhile I have now reached 4 years Windows (and headache) free for my own computer, although I do keep a pet Windows 10 VM for my own amusement and remind myself of the "Bad Old Days".....your computer needs to restart now.....
Actually Windows 10, spying aside, seems a pretty fast and, for Windows, lightweight OS with a decent looking interface.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. Agree with all that.

Win 10 is actually quite decent overall.

But I ain't quitting on Mint and Lubuntu!

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
It take some time to update the anniversary update.If you want to up date When YOU want to you can.Assuming that it has not already been done of course.It is best to take a macrium image before the update in case things go wrong.All you have to do is go to Settings> Update and security.At the bottom of the page click on the 'learn more' Link. This takes you to the MS anniversary update page If you want to update press update now.
Apologies if this has been posted before.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It has, but bears repeating :)

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Well........I just spent hours getting an installing the Anniversary upgrade to my VM.
It only served to reinforce my choice to go to Linux a few years back, life is too short for this process.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ok, all done.

For clarity, this is not upgrading Windows 10 itself, from the November 2015 release to this month's Anniversary release.

Those with large Hard Drives should be able to await Windows Update roll-out or can manualy upgrade using the Tool here. A minimum of 16GB free space is required.

For those with smaller Drives, use the Tool here, which gives the option of create a Bootable USB stick or directly upgrading the device. It only requires 8GB free space and coped well with my Linx 1010.

Follow the instructions here

Is this still available from Microsoft ? A client has just found his vista PC has died a death and I'm hoping I can load it onto a stick and drive over to him tomorrow.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Is this still available from Microsoft ? A client has just found his vista PC has died a death and I'm hoping I can load it onto a stick and drive over to him tomorrow.

There's a typo in my quoted Post ..... that Tool was not for acquiring Win 10 Anniversary Update from scratch, but for updating an existing early Win 10 version.

It's not for creating an Installation from scratch, nor for upgrading from anything preceding Win 10.

For the latter, Licence Purchase is required. Having re-read the pages my Post links to, I can't say how one might do that.

In any event, it's old hat now and the latest thing is Windows 10 Creators edition .

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, OK.

Same question but different, can client obtain Win 10 without breaking the bank (just my callout ) to bring his PC back to life ?

I've already taken the majority of important documents off the drive and the o/s works, but does a lot of strange things. Drive check is 100%

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That I don't know (My Linx 1010 came with Win 10 pre-installed, so I never got into all that tortous Licensing guff) ..... I'm sure others will have some pointers, but suspect getting the answer in your timescale might be a vain hope. But you never know. Sorry.

A

Archive-8

Looks like Win 7 and 8 owners only, according to this
How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Some people (me including) hit the bay for a scrap base unit, both my dell units have scrapped keys on them for windows 8.0 and that allowed me to update to windows 10.

My Lenovo pc key is installed on the remaining pc's.

All I did to install it was download the suitable iso, and boot from that, 2 pc's never asked me for the key, the other 2 popped a message up asking me to telephone.

Good luck this afternoon :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I had considered that, more than once.

I know I have a Win 7 laptop carcass somewhere (E5500 ?) but I think it also has a Vista sticker

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I had considered that, more than once.

I know I have a Win 7 laptop carcass somewhere (E5500 ?) but I think it also has a Vista sticker
Does not mean it was not upgraded