Windows Live Mail issue

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A client of mine is on this for his email, and has a Windows 7 Dell laptop. About a month ago he lost the ability to get his messages and I was called in. He was getting the message 'Do you want to go on line ?' even though he was already connected and could access the internet for other stuff.

I found the desktop icon appeared to be pointing to something other than the right programme within tyhe Windows folder, so I changed this to the right one and voila, everything worked - for a week

The laptop then reverted back to the original fault, which I thought might have been down to a standard update, so I returned, cleared out his cache, checked for any other updates and then used Advanced System Cleaner to get shot of anything that might affect it. Again, emails appeared and I thought everything was finally resolved

Two days later he writes the following.

Alas, the dreaded pop-up "Do you want to go on line" followed by " Error " reappeared the next day. I will therefore soldier on via the internet instead of Windows live mail.

I'm somewhat stumped, so, any clues ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No idea what the root of the fault is, CH, but why not try another Mail Client eg Thunderbird?

If it works, then fine.

But if it exhibits the same issues as Windows Live Mail, that might help home in on the root cause.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Have you tried googling the filename? You may find there's some malware changing thing about.