racingclubuk

Reaction score
Website
www.racingclubfc.com
My Satellite Setup
IBM Supercomputer
My Location
Ogmore by Sea - South Wales
Hold on to your dishes - gales for the weekend ahead!!

Just installed my dish - so this is gonna be its first proper test........ :eek:

loftyj

Reaction score
racingclubuk said:
Hold on to your dishes - gales for the weekend ahead!!

Just installed my dish - so this is gonna be its first proper test........ :eek:

Just make sure that you have marked you dish and mounting pole with center pops or a scribed line so that if is moves you can reset without trouble, can save you a lot of time.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I can predict a lot of the smaller DiSEqC systems are going to be in need of replacement motors

Pull out your receipts boys, and the credit card statements. Most designs are wholly unsatisfactory for the purpose, so you have a decent chance of a free replacement under present consumer laws.

It might be a bumper month for the decent installers out there.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Both my 80cm dishes were blown off their tyre mounts earlier in the week Not a dent or a scratch on them. :) They survived last nights howling winds intact..

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, I laid my 1.1m dish down under a bush!

It's still there (as far as I know!) but the reception is not so good... O-Ha

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
I'm sure mine moved - again - this time only slightly as I moved the motor and the channels came back.

Hope the winds die down tonight.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not looking good tonight BBC Weather is saying storm force winds from Edinburgh to the Wash / merseyside, with gales and heavy rain elsewhere. Yuk:

hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Well no loss of signal here yet, parked the dish at 1W last night, just to be sure.

How is everyone else doing ?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
SsE facing with wind from SW I'm on Turksat for a few days.

Incidently - had a 5mile detour to work this morning due to a fallen Oak, so not that good here either.

L

brewby

Reaction score
80 mph gusts on the Yorkshire coast reported, my 80 cm & stab hh120 survived the night mounted 2/3 up south facing wall on 12 inch T&K brackets staying on BBC prime and watching for shifting. House opposite me has lost 1/2 its hip ridges though I think my roof is still on (have'nt been out side to look yet)

me123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP+
motorised receiver
without diseqc
90cm dish
My Location
Derbyshire
as a newcomer, does signal quality improve once the wind dies down again or does the dish need setting up again, for eg some channels are currently fluctuating between picture and no signal?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
me123 said:
as a newcomer, does signal quality improve once the wind dies down again or does the dish need setting up again, for eg some channels are currently fluctuating between picture and no signal?

It will only improve if it has stayed in exactly the correct position.

The fluctuation is the dish/LNB moving back and forth in the wind. If you are getting a picture then it breaks up and then returns chance are the dish is still OK.

If you want to brave the elements watch your dish for a minute and you'll see what I mean.

P.S. The 'picture breakup' can also be caused by heavy rain, snow etc not just the wind.

vinny048

Reaction score
me123 said:

It will get better once the wind dies down, however, the wind may knock it out of alignment. mines totally out of alignment. Can't get a thing.

me123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP+
motorised receiver
without diseqc
90cm dish
My Location
Derbyshire
thanks for your help, also do you know where I can find movie listings for tps and multivision (preferably in english) as the info and times on the tv display bar often bear no resemblance to the film on view and the actual gmt or european time

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
My 13E dish has been blown off its tyre mount for the second time this week. The 19E one is still standing but appears to be pointing in the wrong direction. Ah well its only 5 minutes job to put them up again. :) I suppose I should really think about some proper mounts for them - something to be done on a warm spring day and with a cold beer nearby.

C

ctomer

The winds have ripped apart my poor old Irte Omnisat, it's a good as dead now. Oh well, means I'm off to get a new motor.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Luckily my dish must have been screened by the neighbours roof, so had uninterupted viewing on all sats, I normally get dropout in high winds, because it is on a "temporary" Aluminium mast. :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
as i am sat here and typing this im next to a window, my dish is right outside this window.....i can see it flapping about in the wind :( not happy

i cant get any channels now at all, i just hope nothing breaks :(

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
I didn't touch my dish at all last night due to the high winds down here in the Westcountry.

I've just switched on my Dreambox and can't receive a bloody thing.
I hope it's just an alignment issue but because of where my dish is situated I do need a little help to get it going again.

Hopefully be operational again by the end of the month.

Shame I was getting used to watching so many movies.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
thats what im thinking.... just got all these channels now i cant watch em :(

and there is no point in re aligning the dish today... or maybe tomorrow, it will just get blown off again (oooer misses)