Winter 2014's acoming so batten down the hatches......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've occasionally done that, but in taking care not to have it so warm that it risks thermally shocking the screen, it also generally freezes back into a thin film of ice within minutes.
Then I would say that you're probably not putting enough warm water on and/or it's not hot enough. Yes, there's thermal shock with warm water but think about the differences in temperature on a cold screen with hot air being directed on it from the air vents.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Before leaving your car for the night, turn the blowers up to full, aimed at the windscreen, and lift the wipers of course, and when you start it in the morning, you let the blowers run, engine slowly heats up, and then the windscreen heats up gently thus preventing thermal shock, and hey presto, defrosted windscreen with no water or de-icer required... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Before leaving your car for the night, turn the blowers up to full, aimed at the windscreen, and lift the wipers of course, and when you start it in the morning, you let the blowers run, engine slowly heats up, and then the windscreen heats up gently thus preventing thermal shock, and hey presto, defrosted windscreen with no water or de-icer required... :D

OK unless you are rushing off to earn a crust at work! Who has 5 - 10 minutes to spare waiting for the engine to warm up to defrost the screen? Leaving it running whilst sitting in it freezing is futile, doing something else is also only an option if you have a second key so that you can lock it with the engine running whilst having a lazy breakfast

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Who has 5 - 10 minutes to spare waiting for the engine to warm up to defrost the screen?

People who plan their time better and start the car up 5 to 10 minutes sooner... :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
People who plan their time better and start the car up 5 to 10 minutes sooner... :-rofl2

Yes and some people don't have to plan their time..................

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes and some people don't have to plan their time..................

But if they have to rush to get the car going and have to spray stuff on the windscreen to defrost it in a panic, then, perhaps some planning is needed... ;)

That or buy a remote-start kit, whichever's cheaper... :p

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Anyway, back to the current weather, an oddity yesterday was that here on the east side of the Pennines we had a glorious (If chilly) day, yet an hour and a half's drive away to the west (In a suitably defrosted car, using whichever method floats your boat), the roads were closed due to snow precisely where we are going on a week's walking holiday in a few days time.

What fun.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Presently snowing here, big flakes too, though cos it was raining beforehand most of it is melting on impact, so, it's just sloppy and wet out there...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So, no De-Icer required, then ^_^

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No, no de-icer, though next door's zafira's sounding like it needs a new battery again... :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Windy, grotty, nasty, horrible, but enough about my bottom, the weather's grim today, dull, dark and blowing hard, want to get on with hacking back unwanted plant matter at the back of the garden, but the weather's not instilling any confidence in doing so....:-doh

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Its the same here 2cv, I am just about to go out and modify a bracket for my cctv if I don't get blown off the ladder :eek:

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Warm, calm, almost clear blue sky here......

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm just hoping it'll be clear blue skies to watch the solar eclipse on the 20th, bought a couple of no. 14 welding mask windows to stare at the sun with, won't be much good is the clouds are in the way... :-doh

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I'm just hoping it'll be clear blue skies to watch the solar eclipse on the 20th, bought a couple of no. 14 welding mask windows to stare at the sun with, won't be much good is the clouds are in the way... :-doh

That will make it darker, so better surely.

If it is really cloudy you could always pretend by putting this on.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
:eek: a bit bleak here this morning, it was worse than this when I first got up, this was after returning home from taking the wife to work.
DSCN7810.JPG

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
It had dipped down to nearly freezing last night here and has reached the dizzy heights of +4C with rain and sleet this morning. Looks like another log burner day....now where did I hide that emergency stash of peasants??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The fun continues here

Status
Not open for further replies.