Wireless system

courghan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Ireland
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to transmit the signal from the dish to the decoder with a wireless signal. I am renting a place so I can't wire it.

Thanks a lot!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, you need to be able to transmit 13/18 volts and 22Khz tone controls to the LNB, then four different bands/polarities of signal back to the receiver, not possible.

There are cable connectors which will fit under a door or window.

courghan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Ireland
Cool, I didn't know! Do you know who does sell these connectors in Ireland or the UK??

....just for curiosity, to be possible to the wireless, would you need an actual sat transmitter attache to the dish??

Thanks again!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
courghan said:
Do you know who does sell these connectors in Ireland or the UK??

Don't you have a local satellite dealer, Maplin or a B&Q warehouse - eBay?

The German Lidl system came with one picture here don't know if the UK/Irish one was the same.

Damn :-doh!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Curses !!!!

Just spent 10 minutes looking for that very piccy and couldn't remember where it was O-Ha

Anyway it is not possible to transmit voltage and current in that way given the present state of technology. Guess the flat coax is the next best thing

L.:)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Don't you have a local satellite dealer, Maplin or a B&Q warehouse - eBay?

The German Lidl system came with one picture here don't know if the UK/Irish one was the same.

Damn :-doh!

You can get them from
h**p://www.satworldonline.com/accessories

If you live in Dublin, Crumlin area. The do a mail job too. Or you can try Zintec in Greenhills rd.

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rolfw, wouldn't it be possible to hook the LNB up to an external power supply of a 13/18 Volt switch and somehow remotely control this and then get the TV signals back to the reciver? When returning the TV signal another signal could "tell" the receiver what voltage was used on the LNB so the V/H polarisation would be correct...

:-hny

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well it isn't only H/V switching, but also High/Low, so whilst I guess that if someone threw enough money at a solution and had power available at the dish, then they could work something out, but it would be very expensive.

Better and cheaper to build a littl insulated box for the receiver and use a video sender to transmit the digibox output back to the house. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There was a wireless solution I saw at Mediacast some time ago, but at that time it only dealt with H/V and did this by shifting the polarity to a higher frequency and then using point to point microwave, the slave unit accepting a standard LNB cable and down converting the required polarity. Whether it would be feasible to do it with high and low as well is a different matter.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
rolfw said:
Well it isn't only H/V switching, but also High/Low, so whilst I guess that if someone threw enough money at a solution and had power available at the dish, then they could work something out, but it would be very expensive.

Better and cheaper to build a littl insulated box for the receiver and use a video sender to transmit the digibox output back to the house. :)

Thats right, we did just that at a sight where we could not get the signal because of a rather high mountain. So get this:

Distance to dish: ca 3.7km. At the dishsite a plastic box for mains electrics 80x80x40cm. Inside this box a digital receiver,powered by 12V,a 95A Car Batterie and a 12V Videosender System with receiver for the infrared remote. The Antenna of this 2.4Ghz System got replaced by a 75cm prime focus parabol and a microwave antenna where the LNB used to be.(self made). Also at the site the normal dish,1.2m motorised via diseqe and a 50W solarpanel to power the whole thing.

At the receiving end again a parabol with microwave antenna connected to the receiver of the videosender system and of course the remote.

It works perfectly well and is also, after moving the receiving antenna and reallining the system,not interfearing anymore with our 1Gb Broadband, also coming wireless over 5.5km, but thats another story.

The things you have to do, living in the hills...........

Greetings
Chris

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
wireless sat link .......

The normal way would be to site the sat receiver close to the dish, then use a videosender to relay picture, and also remotely control the sat receiver from some distance away.

For distances over 40m (ish), you can get special 2.4 Ghz yagi antenna and booster amps, but i'm not sure if that's legal in the UK .....