wondering about ASTRA 2D footprint

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
Hi I'm just wondering, how come ASTRA 2D footprint isn't suposed to be covering portugal and I can receive BBC's and ITV's perfectly with a constant signal of 58%/78% on 10758 V with a 1m dish? I was also able to receive these chanels with a 60cm dish though the signal wasn't strong enough to display a perfect picture but artifacts were minimal. Im even able to receive 12402V which is ASTRA 2B north beam, though it's only 33%/25% there are minor artifacts but it's watchable, at least most of the time... Here are examples: Reality TV on the north beam (worst reception) and ITV2 on 2D.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The footprint is only a guide and there are often small lobes of signal which cover small parts of otherwise badly covered areas, where abouts are you in Portugal?

Have you entered these details on the 2D survey sticky at the top of the page?

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
The same thing happens to me with a few channels from the North Beam. I just get a small bar on my Signal Strength & Signal Quality, but then it dissapears. I have a friend here in Setúbal who says he can recieve a pretty good signal(30% to 50%) from the North Beam with the same dish and LNB as mine! I am going to test an Invacom 0,3dB LNB to see if there is any difference in reception. I will post my results when I get access to the roof of my apartment.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Astra 2D actually covers a lot further than most people imagine. Its not the "UK/Ireland" satellite that was expected. It covers north western Europe quite nicely, and in Iceland, Spain, Portugal, northern Italy reception is possible with slightly bigger dishes. Reception has even been reported in Jordan - although it was with a 21ft dish!!

rato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Funny...even in Sat mags that are edited here and in Europe, quotes that the Astra 2d is receivable in Portugal with guidelines on which dish size to use and in what part of the country, but the North Beam always gets the note "not receivable in Portugal" independent of what dish size you are using. The official footprint(Astra website) gives a wider coverage of the North Beam throughout Europe compared to the narrower "U.K. & Ireland only" 2d Beam.

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
hi, thank you for your replies, answering to rolfw I live in sever do vouga LAT: 40º 43' 60 N Long: 8º 22' 0 W, I haven't found the survey you mentioned... Where's the link?

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
I've found it!

Move

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax CI-24 with Dragon Cam
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
dish:90cm
LNB:0.3
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

comag sl 65(chess sl 35 patch)

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
2d possible with good quality in portugal.If some expats can get it in the south of spain:)
tune in and enjoy albert square:)

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
yeah too bad north beam is such a bummer here... do you think that replacing a 0,6dB lnb with a 0,3dB would improve the signal?

Move

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
Tonito said:
yeah too bad north beam is such a bummer here... do you think that replacing a 0,6dB lnb with a 0,3dB would improve the signal?

It will reduce the noise. but also a good size dish helps.the 2 d requires some pacoence to perfect tunning.(i know it from experience).usually the old sly boxes (black) are very good for tunning.

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
hi I was amazed to see I can receive astra's 2 north beam very well during the daytime. I didn't even know that made any difference. Though the signal is weak as you can see on the attachments, picture is very clear and unpixelated. I guess I'm just lucky to have a receiver that can decode the picture on weak signals :D

rato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Lucky you! I still can't get access to my roof (I have to ask permisson for the damn' key!) but during the daytime I just get a small "sample" of Signal Quality and then it goes away. Probably I could tweak the LNB but still, I'm on a wait-to-see pattern util I can get up to the roof!

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
Well I guess if I can receive it then you can too because your dish is bigger than mine. Maybe you will have to adjust the dish and lnb better. If I were you I would do it at night if possible to have the maximum possible signal. If you can get an "OK" signal at night I guess you'll have no problems in viewing in daytime. Now... If only I could view sky channels...

Move

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
Tonito said:
Well I guess if I can receive it then you can too because your dish is bigger than mine. Maybe you will have to adjust the dish and lnb better. If I were you I would do it at night if possible to have the maximum possible signal. If you can get an "OK" signal at night I guess you'll have no problems in viewing in daytime. Now... If only I could view sky channels...

ehehehe..i am afraid that is not possible(unless you pay mister murdoch)

rato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
I had the problem of tweaking the LNB for a better reception of the S1 Beam and the 2d Beam. I could do the same thing for the North Beam but I have the NASN channel which is on the S1 Beam. I just better be off waiting when I can get up there and try it with the other LNB which has a lower noise figure. It may be insignificant, but it took me a heck of a job to skew the LNB to get the NASN channel!

Move

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
combo box canal digital
CD Norway card
1w(thor) /5e (sirius)
30 hispasat

thompson sky box
My Location
UK
rato2 said:
I had the problem of tweaking the LNB for a better reception of the S1 Beam and the 2d Beam. I could do the same thing for the North Beam but I have the NASN channel which is on the S1 Beam. I just better be off waiting when I can get up there and try it with the other LNB which has a lower noise figure. It may be insignificant, but it took me a heck of a job to skew the LNB to get the NASN channel!

yeap...it needs some determination and pacience..:)

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
You have to have the LNB perfectly alingned for maximum signal. If you dont, you dont get c4 or Five.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its only a matter of time until the Eurobird S2 beam comes into play as well. I reckon it will be resteered over the UK and used as additional capacity for UK chnanels. Theres a couple of tp's been fired up on S2 recently with tests on it from UK services.