Would a DiSEqC motor have any effect on the signal quality?

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zehnder DR600 digital receiver, 90cm Amstrad dish and one MTI Blue Line 0,2db LNB.
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
I'll give Astra 2D a try from Sweden soon, but I'm also thinking about getting a motor so I can also use the same dish for the scandinavian Thor sats at 0.8°W. Do you think a motor (correctly setup) would in any way worsen my chanses of getting Astra 2D?

Regards
Oskar

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Any interruption to the signal path along the cable by insertion of a device will lose you quality depending on the rated signal loss for that device. So in answer to your question I would have to say yes

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The attenuation in the motor will be minimal, something like approx equivalent to 10m of cable.

The attenuation should not affect the SNR as long as the signal level is adequate to start with.

Thus I would say, as long as you don't have an exessively long cable run, the signal quality should be unnafected by the motor.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
As long as the MER/CNR is maintained, you should be ok. The signal loss on a DiSEqC motor is around 2dB, maybe more at 2GHz.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zehnder DR600 digital receiver, 90cm Amstrad dish and one MTI Blue Line 0,2db LNB.
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK thanks. The cable isn't very long, about 10 meters in total I think.

The LNB I'll use will be suited for bad reception since the Astra 2D reception is very weak in Sweden. However, the reception from Thor is very strong. Could that be a problem for the LNB?

Also, the dish is a 110 cm with 42,0 gain at 12,75 Ghz (dBi), does that figure (dbi) has anything to do with your figure of 2 dB signal loss?

Regards
Oskar

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, the lnb will cope fine. We have a similar situation here with 28E and 7W. 28E is very strong, 7W very weak.

The gain of the dish mainly affects the SNR from the satellite, the LNB then provides amplification to cover cable losses.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Oskare100 said:
Also, the dish is a 110 cm with 42,0 gain at 12,75 Ghz (dBi), does that figure (dbi) has anything to do with your figure of 2 dB signal loss?

Regards
Oskar

Dish gain is quoted as dBi (dBi isotropic).
Signal loss or gain at satellite 'IF' intermediate frequency is measured in dBuV.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Best way to check is to run a twin or quad LNB on the dish to start with, and link two wires back to the receiver, one via the motor.

On the weakest channels, check the signal quality/reception on both cables after moving the dish to the required spot.