Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok we need some boundaries so lets set some general rules for this fascinating area of discussion.

1) Absolutely no discussion of how to get Sky UK services of any sort (assuming its possible) - we are a UK based forum and Sky UK can afford MUCH more expensive lawyers than any of our staff can. And I assure you none of the staff here want to spend time being questioned by Sky UK's legal teams just so you can watch Ice Road Truckers or QPR V Burnley for free :D

2) Avoid detailed "how to's" where foreign pay tv services are concerned. This forum has avoided being closed down when purges have taken place against satellite hobby forums over the years by trying to stay away from the murkier areas of the hobby. Just like card sharing anyone interested enough can work out the finer details of how to do it themselves.

3) Dont be offended if we edit or remove any posts that we think have gone too far. Its not personal, and we appreciate the time everyone takes to post. But we have to protect the long term security of the forum.

The rules may evolve as we go along.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
What are you running it on? Atv2 or pc?

Hi Chris, sorry about that I started the thread and realised we needed some guidelines,

I am just using my laptop for the time being, but at some point I think I will get a raspberry pi, TBH its just something to mess about with for me, I like tinkering :).

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, 1m Funke dish, Single Black Ultra LNB, Jaeger dg-120 motor.
45E to 61W, Samsung UE40ES8000 3D TV
My Location
West Midlands
I am just using my laptop for the time being, but at some point I think I will get a raspberry pi, TBH its just something to mess about with for me, I like tinkering :).
I run XBMC on a Pi and it will work fine even if it is a little laggy, but split the operating system between the SD card and a USB drive and overclock the Pi and it flies. I fitted mine into a case, added some heatsinks and a cooling fan and it has been super reliable with no freezes or lock ups.
I've some pictures and some instructions I wrote somewhere for future reference if you or anyone else wants them I'll find them out and post them in this thread.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I run XBMC on a Pi and it will work fine even if it is a little laggy, but split the operating system between the SD card and a USB drive and overclock the Pi and it flies. I fitted mine into a case, added some heatsinks and a cooling fan and it has been super reliable with no freezes or lock ups.
I've some pictures and some instructions I wrote somewhere for future reference if you or anyone else wants them I'll find them out and post them in this thread.

Hi snapperoonie, that would be great many thanks, I installed iptv today and playing with that at the moment interesting stuff and passes a few hours on :).

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
p1.jpg pi2.jpg p1.jpg pi2.jpg
It pobably isn't the best way of doing this but with my limited knowledge and the tools I had available this is what I did.
First off I downloaded the latest version of Openelec as an image file and mounted it on a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 8gig SD card using Win32 Disk Imager. (Free software)
Then using Acronis True Image(Not free software but a torrent site is your friend here) I cloned the card onto a 64gig sandisk memory stick.
Next I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard (Free software) to delete the System partition and re-size the Storage partition on the memory stick to it's maximum.
Then, again using Mini Tool Partition Wizard I deleted the Storage partition from the SD card.
To edit my cmdline.txt file I used notepad++(Free software), the contents of which read

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p1 ssh quiet

so I changed it to

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet

I then plugged the card and the memory stick into the Pi, powered it up and to my total amazement the beast booted
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

After I'd set up the overscanning, time zone etc it was time to overclock the beast, I did this by plugging the SD card into my card reader then using Notepad++ to edit the config file to these settings
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

and force_turbo=1

Last edited:

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Great job, well done :), a nice little bit of kit, What version of pi are you using please, from my reading some are better than others ?.

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
I use the Model B - Revision 2 512MB RAM it's the one with the ARM processor.

A

Archive-8

I don't know anything about the pi's, sounds like something I could be interested in.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Many thanks snapperoonie, I will look more into it, plenty on eBay I am just wondering if there are fakes about ?. another thing to read up on i guess.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Drat - xbmc doesnt work on WinXP :(

snapperoonie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Midlands
This is the one I've got and where I got it from
Google (thepihut)
They may not be as cheap as the bay but I have used them several times and the service has always been prompt and no problems when I had to return one that was DOA.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
It should do A/S, i have used it in the past on XP, check you pm pal :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
This is the one I've got and where I got it from
Google (thepihut)
They may not be as cheap as the bay but I have used them several times and the service has always been prompt and no problems when I had to return one that was DOA.

Many thanks snapperoonie, i have removed your link pal as i believe one/more of our sponsors sell them :)

kevjs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28.2/5'E Zone 1 Mini Dish connected to DVB-S Tuner into TVHeadend/XBMC with a 60cm dish bought out for Astra 1 on Grand Prix weekends. With Android XBMC box in the kitchen too.
My Location
South Notts.
The combination of TV Headend and XBMC (now Kodi) is wonderful!

My current setup is as follows:-

TVHeadend and XBMC 12.2 running on an Acer Revo in my room as the server and also Bedroom TV Tuner.

XBMC 13 Running on the Raspberry Pi in the lounge (second generation Model B - the first generation was too under-powered alas even this struggles with BBC ONE HD content - constant pixalation and picture breakdown - it can however manage Channel 4 HD, Eins Festival HD, arte HD, and Al Jazeera HD). Mainly use it for watching RTL to be honest, most of the time we just use a Sky+ box at the moment (which my housemate got free when Sky acquired 02 broadband)

Those two are the "always on" ones, the rest aren't in use too much....

Kodi 14 Beta running on my Windows 7 Desktop for when I'm at my desk

XBMC 12.1 running on my laptop (usually used for Radio Five Live (Sports Extra)) on non-BBC F1 Weekends - it doesn't like running anything newer and can't cope with the HD channels - not even the 720 stuff at 19.2'E. Also, as I have a VPN setup at home so I can access my network from out and about I can connect this laptop to my home network and watch the channels over the net - Alas my parents ADSL is so poor it can't cope with the BBC SD channels but can just manage the commercial ones (It takes 31 minutes to download a 30 minute programme so it's tantalisingly close to working). When I was testing our new internet connection I work I managed to streaming 3 HD channels simultaneously to my works desktop and a fourth to a laptop.

XMBC 13 on my Android mobile (for those loo breaks you end up needing during the F1).

My Nexus 7 2013 also has XBMC on it but it crashes as soon as you try to watch SD TV Channels :( Can do the HDTV stuff fine. I also use the app TVHGuide for watching the SD channels on my tablet which launches BSPlayer.

My bedroom PC has a couple of Hard Disks on it - one with all my DVDs on it and another with all the TV recordings on it. That PC also has one USB DVB-T2 tuner to get the two DVB-T2 multiplexes; a dual DVB-T tuner to get the five DVB-T multiplexes; and in the lounge using two spare cables from the minidish is a Triax SAT>IP Tuner (Tuner 1 has a dedicated feed to the Sky minidish; Tuner 2 and 3 have a feed split between them from the same dish and TVHeadend is able to control that sensibly (i.e. when Tuner 2 is tuned to Highband Horizontal then Tuner 3 is only allowed to tune to the same). Tuner 4 gets my 19.2'E dish plugged in on Grand Prix weekends.)

The good thing about TV Headend is you can have multiple channels from the different platforms linked together - e.g. BBC ONE HD from my DVB-T2 tuner and BBC ONE HD from the three 28.2 tuners, or Al Jazeera HD from my DVB-T2 tuner, Al Jazeera English on the three 28.2 tuners and Al Jazeera English from the 19.2 tuner. Even better is that you can use a part-time Freeview channel (e.g. Travel Channel) and if a recording kicks off while it's off air it uses the satellite variant (a bit annoying when channel hopping as it takes about 10 seconds to fall back but I rarely watch live TV).

You can also specify tuner priorities. i.e. on my setup it trys to use the services in the following order:-

1. DVB-T2 tuner (Limited to Multiplex 3 and 7)
2. DVB-T tuner A (with EPG scanning disabled, Limited to Multiplexes 1,2,4,5,6,Nottingham)
3. DVB-S2 tuner 1 (28.2)
4. DVB-S2 tuner 2/3 (28.2)
5. DVB-T tuner B (Limited to Multiplexes 1,2,4,5,6,Nottingham - as the second tuner on this device doesn't like the COM multiplexes or Notts TV very well so I try and avoid using it - sometimes it works, sometimes there's a lot of glitching)
6. DVB-S2 tuner 4 (19.2) - Don't want stuff tying up the tuner when the F1's on now do I? :D

(It's rather flexible which is handy when your system was put together from a load of random bits I already had rather than planned).

I'm hoping my EE TV Box will expose the Transport Streams like the Netgem boxes do in France so I can use it's four DVB-T2 tuners though TVHeadends IPTV capabilities... I'll find out this week :D

Drat - xbmc doesnt work on WinXP :(

Actually the older ones do - 12.3 is still available to download http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/old/

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
12.3 now installed on my battered old xp desktop - I'll have a proper look at it in the morning :)