XP Will not download files!

M

meldrew

Regular Member
Messages
116
Likes
0
My Location
North West
#1
My brand spanking new XP comnputer will not download files that I need for educational purposes. Clicking a link on the RDI webpage all I get is a plain white frame.

Everything downloads fine on my W98 computer - what settings is XP invoking to cause this problem? I'm sure I can't be the only one affected!

Seasonal Grretings
Meldrew
 
W

WyrTwister

Member
Messages
6
Likes
0
#2
meldrew said:
My brand spanking new XP comnputer will not download files that I need for educational purposes. Clicking a link on the RDI webpage all I get is a plain white frame.

Everything downloads fine on my W98 computer - what settings is XP invoking to cause this problem? I'm sure I can't be the only one affected!

Seasonal Grretings
Meldrew
My guess is it has to do with security settings . Are you trying to d/l exe or zip files ?

Wyr
 
B

brewby

Regular Member
Messages
154
Likes
0
#3
I had a similar problem with IE6 so I ditched it and installed Mozilla Firefox(free) and not had any problems since and it has a built in pop up stopper. IE6 also had a problem when updated with service packs from Microsh*t.
Try it, its brilliant and free
 
M

meldrew

Regular Member
Messages
116
Likes
0
My Location
North West
#4
WyrTwister said:
My guess is it has to do with security settings . Are you trying to d/l exe or zip files ?
They are zip files so there should be no bother. The suggestion for Firefox is also acknowledge (yes I run that too) but it just gets me so annoyed that MS products are set up for idiots!

Meldrew
 
D

damhy

Regular Member
Messages
266
Likes
0
My Location
Kent
#5
meldrew said:
it just gets me so annoyed that MS products are set up for idiots.
Try not to confuse being set up for idiots and making the software user friendly. Unfortunately firefox doesnt work properly with the forms on certain websites. All open source stuff like firefox(mozilla) are for computer communists, its a nice idea but never quite works in practise. Stick with MS, that's the standard browser and is guarenteed to be more compatible than anything else.

The links on RDI work fine from my computer using IE6 in Win XP SP2. They never used to but at that point I think the server must have not been working properly.
 
M

meldrew

Regular Member
Messages
116
Likes
0
My Location
North West
#6
damhy said:
The links on RDI work fine from my computer using IE6 in Win XP SP2. They never used to but at that point I think the server must have not been working properly.
After much investigation the links work when I turn the (Norton) firewall
off. Id just like to work out how to change te settings to enable simple
downloads.....?!

Meldrew
 
Top