YouTube Launches the 'Quick Fixes' Menu

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Right on the heels of the editor it introduced in March, YouTube has just launched a new video editor. The 'Quick Fixes' menu acts like a sort of “photoshop” for videos, allowing users to make minor changes on unpolished videos.

“We noticed a lot of the videos that were uploaded to YouTube could use some polish, some basic video editing,” said Jason Toff, YouTube product manager. “We noticed a lot of videos had extra footage at the beginning that could have been trimmed off, or some footage at the end that could be trimmed off, a lot of videos that were really shaky could use stabilization and dark videos etc.”

Apart from minor trims, and footage stabilization, the 'Quick Fixes' menu will also let users rotate videos, adjust contrast, and work on the video's colour temperature. Being a Google site, it also has the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button, which can be used for 1-click automatic colour correction. The site has also added 14 new effects, care of Google's recently acquired online photo editor: Picnik. Filters like cross process or Lomo-ish, turning videos black and white or making it look like it was take by a vintage camera are just some of the effects users can play around with. News as to whether or not premium filters or effects will be added in the future, features that can be found on the Picnik website, have not yet been announced.

YouTube is also giving users access to its licensed tracks, letting them swap the soundtracks on their videos. This service has actually been available for some time, and it's now a part of the 'Quick Fixes' menu. Another great tidbit? If a user is not happy with the way they've edited their video, they can always revert to the original video and start over.

Perhaps the best news to users, however, is that editing their videos will not affect view counts, comments, or existing links. There is no need for re-uploading or to save it as a new video, unless of course the video has over 1,000 views, the unfortunately, users will have to save them as new.

A company spokesperson says they are eager for feedback on the new tool. Considering the millions of people on the video sharing site, they are likely to hear those responses very soon.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Shame, I thought it was a set of "Quick Fixes" for youtube's never ending stream of faults that dog end users and uploaders... :rolleyes:

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Which satellite is that on?
:D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How about a tool that auto deletes any uploaded video of babies or cats

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Analoguesat said:

I'd agree with the babies part, cos you never know what inappropriate attention is being given to such videos, but cats, well, they're just fun to watch when they're being daft and going insane... :D

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Analoguesat said:

Sorry, but that one should NEVER be deleted. I watch it every time I feel a bit down :D :

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfeI0Y7lHkw

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
^^I dont find that even mildly amusing.Where is the delete it tool :D