Zone 2 disk on chimney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Hi,

Has anyone ever installed a zone 2 elip dish using a Blakes 13.5" mitre Bracket lashed to chimney. I currently have this setup for a DAT 75 aerial. I need to know if I could use this set up to add on the dish or to replace the aerial with the dish. I have concerns over the load capacity of this setup.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dont put a dish onto the chimney unless you are certain the chimney can take the load - one member had a chimney stack go through his roof last year!!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Hi,
It is on a semi detached bunglow. For the house next door sharing the chimney they have already installed a sky dish on it. Now you have me worried.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you have to put it on the chimney put it low down - the higher up it is the more force the dish will apply in a gale.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you take a picture of the chimney and upload it?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Thanks. Bunglow not that high and access to chimney easy compared with side of house as car port with plastic clear roof on it. Therefore would propably break car port roof if I stand on it. I could also use the existing entry points through roof for cables and even use the existing pf100 cable for one of the receivers. Hence I was thinking of doing it this way.

Do you think a Blakes 13.5" mitre Bracket lashed to chimney would be strong enough, or in you opinion is the chimney installation just to risky.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Hi will post picture tomorrow once I have light outside.

PLANTPOT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 mtr channel master
1224 motor
Technomate 1500+
Still in the garage,not had a chance to put it up yet :-)
Also 90cm channel master fixed
My Location
SW France
Putting any dish on a chimney has to be a last resort choice.
Our French neighbour has a dish on his chimney and was laughing at me when I put a dish up for another neighbour just above head height,he didn't seem to think it was high enough to receive anything.
Main advantage of fitting lower down if possible is the ease of access if you need to get to it in the future.
Even a bungalow roof can be difficult to get on in very windy wet conditions.-PP

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Makes sense. It was the problem with the car port that was driving me to use the chimney. I may see if I can remove part of the car port roof easily, although I think it will be a hard and messy job.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Chimney mounting should be considered a last resort, and only in if the chimeny is in good condition. I have had to repoint/repair chimneys before installing a dish on them before now, and even though regs allow for up to 60cm on a chimney, I will not install larger than a zone1 on a chimney.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
hi,
Chimney is in good condition but based on everyones recommendation I will look at sorting out the car port issue and try and install it on the side of the bunglow. Will need more cable now however as I was going to make use of the existing pf100 cable from the dat aerial for one of the feeds.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
you could fit a small set of t&k brackets on the side of the bungealow and have the dish looking over the roof or one of these mount in the picture ?

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 28

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Chimneys aren't totally taboo, they just need to be substantial enough, plus a bungalow will be much less exposed than a two storey house.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since satellite reception is line of sight, unless there is really something in the way of the signal, you should aim to keep the dish as low as is feasible.

Keep the chimney for the other equipment

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
wod said:
you could fit a small set of t&k brackets on the side of the bungealow and have the dish looking over the roof or one of these mount in the picture ?

As wod stated a swan neck would be an ideal install you can get the materials from a local supplier.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
See attached picture of Chimney. DAT 75 (large 3 part aerial is side requiring satellite.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 09 20.25.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 09 20.25.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 45
  • ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 09 20.26.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 09 20.26.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 09 20.26.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 09 20.26.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 43

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Buy your neighbour a quad LNB as a "present" then run a feed from that. If you're on good terms then they should be fine with it.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Londonderry
Hi,
Good idea. People their at moment fine and would have no problem (octo needed). But would rather be independance in case someone else moves in. Shared items can always cause problems. Plus may need another room in future that would cause problems. Good idea anyway.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Hi again Wilson

As fergyc says a qaud lnb would do the trick nicely. The sky signal from the dish is communal its when it hits the box that the viewing rights come into play so you would be doing nothing wrong. But if your adement on using another dish then i would not mount it on the chimmney

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The chimney looks to be reasonably substantial at four bricks square, shouldn't be a problem to attach a minidish to your aerial mast between or below the bracket, although the mast could do with a little upgrading.