Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You can check on dishpointer.com to see if the tower block is actually blocking access to other satellites. Type in your postcode, select 16E from the satellite drop down box, then zoom in on the map to where your dish is located.
You might want to investigate IPTV receivers. These work using the internet and don't require a dish.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
To confirm that suggestion (or otherwise), have a look at Dishpointer

There, you can simulate the position of your dish and check if obstacles (Like Buildings and Trees) really are a problem.

Edit: Cripes,I'm getting slow in my dotage!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, yes, nitram from dleiffehs.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Why do you bother to subscribe ?:(

When I visit most of my friends & relations that have Sky 90% of the time they are watching the BBC/ITV/C4 FreeSat channels,:)

When I tell them that a £80 FreeSat will get most of the channels they watch 90% of the time they normally reply but if I don't subscribe to Sky I won't be able to record ITV when I am watching BBC-1 because Sky stop the recorder working when you cancel your subscription :-ohcrap

Well why don't you invest in a FreeSat PVR that will allow you to do that,:)

I'm not going to pay out £199 for a HDR-1000S Freesat HD+ 500GB Satellite PVR with Free Time EPG :(

Oh well you had better stay with Sky then.:rolleyes:

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
want to know about satellite tv channels have sky at moment but to exspensive any alternative
My Location
london
Why do you bother to subscribe ?:(

When I visit most of my friends & relations that have Sky 90% of the time they are watching the BBC/ITV/C4 FreeSat channels,:)

When I tell them that a £80 FreeSat will get most of the channels they watch 90% of the time they normally reply but if I don't subscribe to Sky I won't be able to record ITV when I am watching BBC-1 because Sky stop the recorder working when you cancel your subscription :-ohcrap

Well why don't you invest in a FreeSat PVR that will allow you to do that,:)

I'm not going to pay out £199 for a HDR-1000S Freesat HD+ 500GB Satellite PVR with Free Time EPG :(

Oh well you had better stay with Sky then.:rolleyes:
hi there
what other receiver can I buy that will work with my sky dish already on the wall and get more channels then I already have I really need maybe 3 recievers because I have multiroom at moment with sky. so I have 3 sky boxes and a 1 sky dish on my wall.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Blimey no wonder it costs you an arm and a leg....

Freesat PVR's for a no-subscription alternative to Sky. (Free channels only obviously!)

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
want to know about satellite tv channels have sky at moment but to exspensive any alternative
My Location
london
Blimey no wonder it costs you an arm and a leg....

Freesat PVR's for a no-subscription alternative to Sky. (Free channels only obviously!)
hi there
sky give me multiroom cheap I only pay £2.50 a month for 1 multiskybox and £10 a month for the other multiroom box. I have entertainment package all sky movie package and all sky sports package and internet broadband and telephone I pay about £115 a month, that's with a few phone calls added on. I know its far to much to pay out its costing me about £1300 a year. surley theres a cheaper way.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
£115? OUCH!

Not really one solution. Kill the sport or movies and you will save a packet.

eg kill the movies and go with an online provider like netflix, or just buy the dvds of stuff you fancy seeing.

Log onto the mysky website and have a play with the options and see how fast your bills go up and down with different channel options.

You cant easily replicate Sky UK content from other providers. As has been mentioned some of the content is available but its not exactly a plug & play option.

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
£115? OUCH!

Not really one solution. Kill the sport or movies and you will save a packet.

eg kill the movies and go with an online provider like netflix, or just buy the dvds of stuff you fancy seeing.

Log onto the mysky website and have a play with the options and see how fast your bills go up and down with different channel options.

You cant easily replicate Sky UK content from other providers. As has been mentioned some of the content is available but its not exactly a plug & play option.
can I watch netfix channels on my Samsung plasma tv?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
You can get Sky Movies ondemand and live streaming NowTV for £8.99 a month, is this less than you pay Sky per month for the movies?

The box is/was/should still be £9.99 but Currys PC World had an offer on recently where you got the box and 3 months worth of free Sky Movies for £25

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
You can get Sky Movies ondemand and live streaming NowTV for £8.99 a month, is this less than you pay Sky per month for the movies?

The box is/was/should still be £9.99 but Currys PC World had an offer on recently where you got the box and 3 months worth of free Sky Movies for £25
hi smoggy
my sky subscription works out £77 a month just checked yesterday that's for all sky movie channels sky sports 1234, and entertainment pack, £2.50 for 1 multiroom and £11.40 for 2nd multiroom. plus unlimited internet and telephone. normally I pay about £115 a month that's with phone calls but yeah its £77 a month, Im really looking for a cheaper way yours seems very cheap and ok, whats the name of the box from currys do I just take my skybox out and put this one in its place?

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london

whats the name of the box?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Its called Now TV and it plugs into a spare hdmi socket on your tv but it wont replace your sky box
You could say it would compliment the sky tv

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I guess it depends on how often you watch Sky Sports, if it's every day it's an expensive alternate. However, if you can pick and choose when you'd like to buy a 'day pass' it might offer a saving. The movies package looks a better deal but whether it would work out cheaper than the subs you now pay, I don't know. Not something I could contemplate, with my slow broadband and having to set up a VPN.

keith moore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
I guess it depends on how often you watch Sky Sports, if it's every day it's an expensive alternate. However, if you can pick and choose when you'd like to buy a 'day pass' it might offer a saving. The movies package looks a better deal but whether it would work out cheaper than the subs you now pay, I don't know. Not something I could contemplate, with my slow broadband and having to set up a VPN.
hi there
my misses is in Trinidad at the moment is it possible if she bought a satellite receiver or a sky card or something like that would it work in uk here?