Best 1.2m Dish?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
But it's not expensive either... As everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125, 18'' actuator, vbox, tbs6922 & azbox
My Location
London
Anyone knows how CM 120 compares with triax 110 in terms of signal?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
But I am quite confident that that sac 120 is worst than the triax110.
As we know from above posts, S.A.C. 1.2m, in reality only 110cm dish. Secondly, did you check it for warpage? Was LNB located in the right location? Was LNB's illumination angle fits to dish opening angle? So, that easily could be hardware problem applied particularly to your piece of hardware.
Anyone knows how CM 120 compares with triax 110 in terms of signal?
When we compare dishes, we can speak about their sizes, quality of paint, weight, material used, but not performance. Performance could be measured only of satellite systems: antenna, LNB, cables, connectors, switches, receivers.
Two different sat systems: same size dishes, both in perfect condition, both have well fitted LNBs, same cabling, same receiver will give you about the same performance. If one of those systems, has bigger dish than it's performance will be better. Physics. :rolleyes:
So, answering to your question: system with CM120 dish will perform better than another system with Triax110, and this difference will be approximately 18% better.
CM120 is nice dish, very durable, dependable, precisely made, always keeps it's shape, can sustain heavy weather conditions..... but it is only 120cm dish and can not perform much better than even no-name dish which has same size, but has perfect shape and all other parameters are also perfect. Another issue is that some dishes, after some time or windy conditions change their shapes, than system's performance goes down.
I wish to have my own CM120, cuz it is good 120cm dish. ;)

It doesn't look cheap to upgrade with brand new components.
Did you expect to get everything for free? :D Look in local second-hand market, sometimes there are really good deals available.

@mariust5 I am sorry as well.... sometimes, when it is full moon (oops, it was yesterday) I write too much :-lol

A

archive10

It doesn't look cheap to upgrade with brand new components. Failed to find a healthy CM dish in ebay, I will keep on looking
Unfortunately, they don't make Channel Master polar mounts anymore.

So if you want a new polar mount, the options are limited to appropriating one, e.g. the Laminas, or buying an SMC dishes that comes with a Poilar Mount - which AFAIK limits the choice to a Visiosat (Cahors-CED).

Attached is the product sheet for the Laminas (which is actually intended for their 1.8 meter dish).

Also attached are two for the Visiosat:
- The first one is the old datasheet from before Visiosat turned into Chaors-CED, but it has a picture of the polar mount.
- The second Visiosat is the latest one, this has the ordering number for the polar mount.

The dish is available from German and French sites at reasonable prices, so they might be able to source the polar-mount version for you.
Beware to get the proper quote including shipping and insurance - others on this site has experienced a sudden increase in the price once insurance got factored in for these large items.

(Have had a Visiosat myself, but not the polar mount. Good performance, just like the other 120s, but aesthetically there's something about the shape that makes me prefer the Channel Masters.)

Attachments

• asp1800_cc_eng.pdf
    310.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ant120(web).pdf
    204.1 KB · Views: 10
  • fp-smc120-cahors.pdf
    413.3 KB · Views: 11

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for your explanation RimaNTSS. I know about the problems to compare how much signal different dishes produce, but sometimes comparisons are possible (for example in my roof I have both the sac 120 and the triax 110 at the same time...)

Quite convincing anyway your words about the CM.

St1, I was not aware of that problem. I thought the Raven came with a polar mount.

Yes, laminas delivery costs are quite high (around 100 pounds I think). So it would be cheaper to buy the Raven (it is the same as Andrews and Channel Master, isn't it?) and find a polar mount.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, laminas delivery costs are quite high (around 100 pounds I think).

Have you looked into the cost of getting one from their dealer here in France?....think it will be a lot less than £100...

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Yes, I did!! 48€ for dishes smaller than 103cm, and the guy thought it was around 100-130 for bigger dishes

A

archive10

Quite convincing anyway your words about the CM.
Well, they are really really good...
St1, I was not aware of that problem. I thought the Raven came with a polar mount.

Yes, laminas delivery costs are quite high (around 100 pounds I think). So it would be cheaper to buy the Raven (it is the same as Andrews and Channel Master, isn't it?) and find a polar mount.
Channel Master -> Andrew -> ASC -> Raven -> Skyware Global
Same stuff. Actually same moulds, I was told recently by guys from Skyware Global.
The Polar Mounts had their hey-day back when you needed a large dish and a polar mount to watch more than a few (analog) channels.
These days, john smith gets his fix from a single provider at a single sat location, so no real market anymore for this.
(Now the market is ruled by cheap metal dishes that are as fast to install as possible for the installer to minimise cost.)
No money in polar mounts for Skyware Global, just us enthusiasts (who thinks things are expensive, so we'll refurb old rusty stuff...)

If you're really not into refurbing and old SMC dishes + mounts and all that, maybe you should consier a Gibertini 125 with a Gibertini polar mount.
Not cheap, but all readily manufactured, easily available in the UK and Germany, and works really well... ?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Channel Master -> Andrew -> ASC -> Raven -> Skyware Global

I made an inquiry about buying a mount, and was told you can buy a dish with a mount of your choice, but they wont sell the mount separately.

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Sounds like a good alternative!

It looks like there are polar mounts for the Channel Master here:

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellite_diseqc_motors_36_volt_motors.htm#36vhtoh

(Primesat CH12MK4) and they look robust, although price is a bit crazy.

Also in French laminas dealer they manufacture polar mounts for their 125cm dish:

http://www.2galli.fr/monture-polaire-pour-smc120-visiosat-cahors-visiosat,fr,4,POL_SMC120.cfm

but 3 weeks delivery time.

So right now gibertini looks reasonable, with a cheaper polar mount, although it is true that it doesn't look as great as that primesat CH12MK4:

http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=DISPOLAR120150GIB

Thanks

A

archive10

I made an inquiry about buying a mount, and was told you can buy a dish with a mount of your choice, but they wont sell the mount separately.
What - polar mounts? Then they either picked up mfg again, or they have a new design.
Tell me more!

A

archive10

Sounds like a good alternative!

It looks like there are polar mounts for the Channel Master here:

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellite_diseqc_motors_36_volt_motors.htm#36vhtoh

(Primesat CH12MK4) and they look robust, although price is a bit crazy.
Well, yes, but you need a thick wallet (or purse, I suppose it is in the UK).
Nice mounts, but ungh...
Also in French laminas dealer they manufacture polar mounts for their 125cm dish:

http://www.2galli.fr/monture-polaire-pour-smc120-visiosat-cahors-visiosat,fr,4,POL_SMC120.cfm

but 3 weeks delivery time.
No, that's the Visiosat Polar Mount. As illustrated in the Visiosat product sheets I uploaded earlier.
Mind you, it looks a bit flimsy (the Az/El mount was too), but it's not too expensive.
So right now gibertini looks reasonable, with a cheaper polar mount, although it is true that it doesn't look as great as that primesat CH12MK4:

http://www.hisat.com/proddetail.php?prod=DISPOLAR120150GIB

Thanks
You get what your pay for. Trick is to agree with yourself on what's good enough...

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Do you think that gibertini mount will be strong enough to deal with the storms?

A

archive10

Do you think that gibertini mount will be strong enough to deal with the storms?
If you have a good foundation (== properly anchored 3" mast), then the Gibby should survive ok. It will rust in the long run (not hot-dipped galvanised AFAIR), and will (as any other polar mount) require regular maintenace in the shape of grease/adjustment etc.

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
No, that's the Visiosat Polar Mount. As illustrated in the Visiosat product sheets I uploaded earlier.

Right. Sorry. Why on earth they take 3 weeks to deliver then ?!

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
What - polar mounts? Then they either picked up mfg again, or they have a new design.
Tell me more!

It was around the time you got the 2.4, and from memory you pointed out my quote was for dish and polar mount, I phoned them the next day and was told you cant buy a mount, but you can buy a dish and mount:rolleyes:

roccky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Gibby ... will (as any other polar mount) require regular maintenace in the shape of grease/adjustment etc.

Is this maintenace quite regular? Or once every 2 or 3 years, for example, would be enough? thanks!

A

archive10

It was around the time you got the 2.4, and from memory you pointed out my quote was for dish and polar mount, I phoned them the next day and was told you cant buy a mount, but you can buy a dish and mount:rolleyes:
Ah, yes, that was for the 1.8 meter Prodelins. The 1.2 meter channel masters are out of luck when it comes to polar mounts, i am afraid.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
if you can wait a bit you will see them on ebay.... its just pot luck if they are within travelling distance. guess its down to how much you want to spend, new or second hand, if you are willing to do the refurb yourself. ive owned a gibby 1.25m and polar mount but prefere the andrew/cm. the SSS polar mount looks quality but is overpriced imo like most things they sell