Portable satellite dish base

A

Archive4

Thanks, but

If I were to be totally honest, that drill rig looks a little on the light side, best spend a few quid more and get one that works tomorrow ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Like it 2,2 Precision

Trailer Mounted 2.2 Metre Dish

David Wrigley's Web Page:Microwave Sources

BM,

That is an interesting dual axis setup on the 2.2m Precision dish on the trailer. They have used an original Precision heavy duty polar mount as the pivot for the horizontal plane but not used the declination offset and not set it to track the satellite arc. In fact the Precison polar mount is not directly attached to the dish but simply pivots East/West across a flat horizontal plane. On the top of the Precision polar mount is attached a pivoting frame that the dish is attached to, this upper frame has the elevation actuator connected. Its a seriously heavy duty bit of dual axis kit.

I have attached a picture below of the same type of Precision polar mount, obviously without the pivoting top frame that is present in the "trailer dish". You can see how the "trailer dish" mount was created from the original Precision polar mount by the addition of the top frame.

Rgds

Attachments

• Precision 2.2m PM 01.jpg
    Precision 2.2m PM 01.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
BM,

That is an interesting dual axis setup on the 2.2m Precision dish on the trailer. They have used an original Precision heavy duty polar mount as the pivot for the horizontal plane but not used the declination offset and not set it to track the satellite arc. In fact the Precison polar mount is not directly attached to the dish but simply pivots East/West across a flat horizontal plane. On the top of the Precision polar mount is attached a pivoting frame that the dish is attached to, this upper frame has the elevation actuator connected. Its a seriously heavy duty bit of dual axis kit.

I have attached a picture below of the same type of Precision polar mount, obviously without the povoting top frame that is present in the "trailer dish". You can see how the "trailer dish" mount was created from the original Precision polar mount by the addition of the top frame.

Rgds

Hi yes its now really motorised AZ/EL, the chap has done a good job, reading more into his hobby its used for microwave communications EME etc, some interesting reading and modifications to be found on these forums

A

Archive4

When you finish the project and don´t need that drill anymore, I´ll give it a loving home!

Looks like a nice piece of kit!

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
When you finish the project and don´t need that drill anymore, I´ll give it a loving home!

Looks like a nice piece of kit!
I've seen them in action but never used one, the railway line is too heavy to move around on my own this is a easy option to take the drill to where I want the hole, I am sure I will find more uses for it once ive finished this project,

Yes nice bit of kit at a price but will be worth it saving my old back that's not very good to start with

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I only have cheap drill bits and wanted to test, swapped to the normal chuck its very actuate drills quite easy with the cheap drills, another 50 holes to do, I can see this getting boring :D
IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2684.JPG

A

Archive4

Just imagine what you could do with a decent bit on the side!

( Was going to post a pic, but figured someone will post a better one! )

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
If i ever get around to assembling the very old 3 m Prodelin again -- Antique Prodelin (10 ft) project
it will have to be on a trailer i think :eek:.. the C band performance was very good for an old dish ..
but the test site was very (arc) limited.

3m :) very nice I will take a look thanks :)

... Very nice BM, very nice

Thanks John its a pleasure to use I feel like doing the job now, the old pillar drill is ok for the odd hole. put this where you want it turn the magnet on and off you go:)

A

Archive4

Have you considered this concept?

upload_2016-9-26_20-17-16.jpeg

Getting the palm trees to fold over should not be a problem, and a decent chain drive system to get it out of the shed????

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Interesting drill... My bench one is fine but means I have to carry stuff to it - tricky when a massive dish is hanging off the PM I need to drill.....